Author Topic: Riddling loads of soil  (Read 19465 times)

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
Re: Riddling loads of soil
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2005, 22:47:45 »
Got it, it looks great, but how do you use it? not by shakin the handles of the wheel barrow ??? presumably you use it like a cheese grater ??? quite unique, you are quite innovative, I loved the boot scraper idea, almost to the point where I wanted to break a fork ;D

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2005, 08:48:27 »
Nah! I fill it up with soil and run round and round the plot singing, 'Hi-Ho-Hi-Ho, pick up riddle and go, With a big strong back, And a lot of knack, I get...... the goods..... Ho-Ho-Ho-Ho!
I got a spare broken fork I picked up at a jumble sale. Gonna make a birthday pressy for someone.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2005, 09:58:24 »
 ;D Tee hee your Mad ;D

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2005, 13:15:33 »
Our local organic co-operative (not the Co-op! - tee hee) use a sieve swing to cope with sieving large amounts of soil.  They've got a web site but no swing in sight.  I've been to a talk by the group who mentioned it.  I suppose if I want to see it for myself I'm going to have to go along to one of their sessions. 

I've googled but come up with nought  :(    Not that I'll be sieving anytime soon (what, wi my back?) 

My chiro gave me back strengthening exercises yesterday so I'll soon be back in business on my lotty.  Hopefully.  He;s told me to avoid cleaning windows.  Oh dear what a shame  ;D
I came, I saw, I composted

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2005, 14:49:41 »
Since it was in response to a plea from Mimi that I originally posted about my method of sieving, I will repeat what I said then. I made a swing sieve (and I still have it, if anyone wants to collect it). For small amounts of soil or large numbers of operaters, it works. BUT for large amount of sieving (I did over 20 tonnes(that is a pile about 2 metres high, 2 metres wide and 5 metres long)),to be done in a short time you really do need something bigger and easier. I really could not fancy doing more than a small amount at a time in Kens riddle.
Only other point to make is that perhaps Mimi and I should have made it clear that we were not talking about  "soil" as in good for growing stuff, we were cleaning up material which most people would have put in a skip and replaced with expensive bought in topsoil.
Gardening is the great leveller.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2005, 15:35:57 »
Horses for courses, folks.

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2005, 15:54:25 »
Exactly Ken, exactly! Funny, I have just found behind the compost heap the original sieve I made before I realised just hpw much material there was. Looks a bit like yours, but far less well constructed. ;D
Gardening is the great leveller.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2005, 20:05:19 »
The wood I might have to replace, the mesh came from the inside of a commercial kitchen oven which should last for just about ever.
Big riddles that need more than one person to handle must be a nightmare to anyone considering his days work!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal