Author Topic: your support needed - Hedgehogs and McFlurrys  (Read 3133 times)

dotCompost

• Half Acre
your support needed - Hedgehogs and McFlurrys
« on: November 17, 2005, 22:20:28 »
No Hurry for McFlurry November 2005

The British Hedgehog Preservation Society (BHPS) continue their battle against the increasingly evasive Ronald McDonald.

Discarded are a real hazard to hedgehogs as once they put their heads into the cup to get the remaining ice cream, they cannot escape.

Today, Fay Vass, Chief Executive of BHPS, said, “This campaign has dragged on for far too long. McDonald’s seem to make reassuring noises and vague promises, but over four years after being alerted to this problem nothing has changed.”

One can only guess how many hedgehogs are killed every year by this particular sort of litter, some are found and saved, some are found dead, more are very likely never found at all.

Miss Vass added “Whilst we appreciate that McDonald’s cannot be accountable for irresponsible customers littering the countryside, in this particular instance they have the power to save lives by making a very minor change to the design of their packaging.

We are asking people to help us get this small change implemented before the spring when hedgehogs are out of hibernation and ice cream season is upon us once again! Please contact McDonald’s and insist they make the necessary changes quickly. All the time McDonald’s are tinkering with the new design, hedgehogs are dying of dehydration and starvation in McFlurry packaging.”

Please write to Customer Services, McDonald's Restaurants, 11-59 High Road, East Finchley, N2 8AW or call 08705 244 622.

Ends. Ends.

NOTES:

Please do all you can to get this picture into the public domain (copyright British Hedgehog Preservation Society). It could go in newsletters, on websites, flyers, etc and sent to any press contacts you have.

If you would like to receive a higher resolution picture or a picture of a dead hedgehog stuck in a McFlurry carton please email bhps@dhustone.fsbusiness.co.uk

British Hedgehog Preservation Society
Hedgehog House
Dhustone
Ludlow
Shropshire
SY8 3PL
Tel:01584 890 801

www.britishhedgehogs.org.uk
« Last Edit: November 17, 2005, 22:25:12 by dotCompost »

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
Re: your support needed - Hedgehogs and McFlurrys
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2005, 12:40:40 »
Yet another reason for me to hate McDonalds.   I detest the place and all it stands for.

I'll be writing.

chriszog

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2005, 12:55:23 »
I for one will be writing to them. Hate the place and the rubbish they sell.
This is disgusting and you would think a multi million pound company would change the packaging once they were aware of the dangers of it.
Everyone should support the Hedgehogs, they are our friends.
regards
Chris

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2005, 17:16:22 »
Yet another reason for me to hate McDonalds.   I detest the place and all it stands for.

I'll be writing.

I am with you Heldi - much to my disgust though, my other half has taken to taking the children for a drive through (another pet hate) McFlurry.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2005, 11:30:58 »
Clanger    When travelling south we stopped off for something to eat at the services and the only food outlet there was McD's.  We all had a salad and it was lovely.  The cherry tomatoes were the best I have ever tasted - honestly.  So credit to them for that.  I asked the chap behind the counter and he said they were locally grown  (whether that was true or not you can't be sure) The taste was so good I don't think they were forced in some greenhouse in Holland

So credit due to McD's for that.  I wish I'd kept the seeds. Can't believe I didn't.

But their burgers - forget it!
I came, I saw, I composted

BAGGY

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2005, 23:30:12 »
I think mcD is crap too.  It smells like it has been pre-eaten.  Bleugh
Get with the beat Baggy

Dominique

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2005, 07:48:34 »
  We all had a salad and it was lovely.  The cherry tomatoes were the best I have ever tasted - honestly.  So credit to them for that. 
Mmm...  What did they do to the tomatoes I wonder.... ;)
D

dotCompost

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2005, 19:00:14 »
prolly grew 'em in hog dung..!!

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2005, 20:38:32 »
I will scrub my halo because I have never ever bought anything from McDonalds. I have been disgusted by the destruction of the Brazilian Rainforest in order to feed the USA their burgers since I was a young un. I am disgusted by their direct marketing to get the kids ...Ronald,Happy Meals.Timberlake. Like perverted stalkers waiting to feed your children sh**  A regular Baba Yaga.

Did anyone see that Supersize Me programme? 

I reckon they've only started introducing "healthy" food because they are getting sued.

I hate McDonalds...and I hate bleeping clowns!

twofishes

• Not So New ...
  • desperately seeking a lottie.......
McDonalds aren't the only ones
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2005, 20:36:21 »
the fact is all sorts of litter kills all sorts of wildlife, many cattle die from consuming plastic carrier bags, seagulls and other birds trapped by can ties on waste sites ( cut up these plastic loops before throwing them away) .Irreponsible use of slug pellets injure/kill hedgehogs and birds, wrong use/disposal of fertilisers (organic & chemical) filter into water courses and damage fish stocks and pollute drinking water.

A note on McDonalds I agree they are at the forefront of the fast food industry and all that that stands for, however the quality of the meat they use in their product these days are a LOT better than the meat in your supermarket sausages, burgers, fresh chickens ..a survey on their chicken nuggets showed that they were second only to one make for the highest percentage of quality breast meat ( i.e not eyelids, corn and fillers!!)

They will bow to enough consumer pressure because consumers are their business hence the change to 'healthy eating' menu, if enough people write from a consumer point of view (i.e I will stop going to your outlets if this change isn't made ...even if this a lie and you'd rather drop dead than set foot in the place) McFlurry packaging will change( lets face why do they need that big plastic collar on the pot an old fashioned cardboard lid would be much cheaper for them too!)

anyway I'll get off my soapbox.....

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2005, 22:43:21 »
Think you will fall through your soapbox after that speech  ;D
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal