Author Topic: Globe artichoke and asparagus  (Read 4372 times)

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
Re: Globe artichoke and asparagus
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2005, 09:06:17 »
Well I have both artichoke tubers AND asparagus seedlings, generously donated ... they will remain in the greenhouse until ready for planting ...

Derekthefox :D

Aussie Chick

• Half Acre
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2005, 19:31:28 »
I havent searched anywhere yet, so if I'm posting here and shouldnt be please direct me.....do i need to fleece or put a layer of straw on my artichoke and asparagus. Both are still big and green.

Thanks,
AC

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2005, 15:42:36 »
Well I took my artichokes and asparagus down to the allotment today, intending to store them in the greenhouse until planting in the spring. I will put the asparagus into larger pots so they are comfortable, and store the artichoke tubers in buckets of compost. I must remember to put a label on !!! This will give me time to determine the best location for them.

undercarriage plan

« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2005, 22:49:07 »
I do the same as Wardy, I mulch the asparagus with seaweed ( there's a story! ::)) but leave the artichokes to  get on with it, and luckily they do!
Lottie

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2005, 22:51:37 »
Since I live three miles from the furthest point from the sea, I doubt I will be applying much seaweed ...  ;D

chriszog

• Half Acre
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2005, 15:49:42 »
Hi Derek
     I thought the furthest point from the sea was a small village near Tring in Herts, may be wrong though but I remember a Guy that lived there telling me he was a mad Sea fisherman and that he couldnt get any further away from it.
Regards
Chris

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2005, 16:46:55 »
Well i live three miles from the village of Meriden, which is the centre of England, there is a cross there which is believed to be the actual centre ... now I realise that the centre, does not necessarily give the the furthest distance, but considering the shape of England, it is unlikely not to be. My nearest bit of sea, is Weston Supermare, at about 110 miles ...

chriszog

• Half Acre
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2005, 14:39:40 »
Derek
Is this near you
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/derbyshire/3090539.stm
It says the village of Coton in the Elms Derbyshire is the furthest away????
More exploration needed

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2005, 15:35:50 »
Yes I know of that location, and can believe it could be correct. Knowing that the closest sea to me is Weston Supermare, it makes sense for the furthest point to be a bit further north ... I went to an excellent folk festival just east of that point, the village of Oakthorpe, you can see it on the map ...

Thanks for that research ...

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2005, 21:03:56 »
Yes I know of that location, and can believe it could be correct. Knowing that the closest sea to me is Weston Supermare, it makes sense for the furthest point to be a bit further north ... I went to an excellent folk festival just east of that point, the village of Oakthorpe, you can see it on the map ...

Thanks for that research ...

Is that an annual festival Derek?
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal