Author Topic: Garlic here at last  (Read 1998 times)

spacehopper

• Hectare
  • Its a jungle out there...
Garlic here at last
« on: November 24, 2005, 15:26:28 »
The T&M garlic has finally arrived, nearly three months late.  :o
Hopefully we'll get it in this weekend.
Make the most of today, because you'll never have it back again.

timmyc

• Quarter Acre
Re: Garlic here at last
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2005, 15:29:57 »
The misses ordered hers from Suttons fairly recently - it arrived within 3 days - I thought that was quite good - we've tended to go with Suttons recently because a) they deliver fast and b) we buy from a gardencentre / leisure park / coffee shop / not much garden really centre, and they have a buy one get one free offer on all Suttons Seeds normally during January - which saves a fortune!

I guess they think, (most of them knowing nothing about gardening) that people will only but seeds in march.

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2005, 08:37:39 »
That is assuming,

a) you can see the ground

b) you can penetrate the surface

Good luck  ;D

Derekthefox :D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2005, 14:18:38 »
My garlic arrived the the Garlic Farm this morning. It wasn't cheap, but they sent five massive bulbs, very well packed; if I can grow it to anything like the same size it will be well worth it. I got Solent Wight as it's supposed to be very long-lasting; we'll wee next year. I won't be planting it this week, it's actually drizzling now but I've had an upset stomach all week and I'm not up to it.

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2005, 15:39:01 »
Mine went in during October, elephant garlic as well. I didnt find out the name of the true garlic, the stall owner had lost the packaging with the name on. Both varieties are looking very happy now.

the_snail

• Hectare
  • Be Kind to Slugs and Snails! :)
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2005, 05:12:43 »
Well my garlic which where last years Failed stock are going in seed trays in the greenhouse. Then planted out in lets say Late January to Very early February. This should give me a longer growing season to make better garlic next year.
If I planted it now on site I would need a newmatic road drill to make a planting bed. So I will tuck them up in my greenhouse for a while and then plant them out later.

The_Snail

Ps. Hope you your tummy is feeling better Robert_Brenchley.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2005, 05:19:20 by the_sexy_snail »
Be kind to slugs and snails!

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2005, 09:37:07 »
Just to invite a learned reply, does garlic appreciate being replanted once the roots have grown ... ?

blight

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2005, 13:58:01 »
@timmyc
you can plant your garlic in early spring as well. i usually plant half in autumn, half in spring. the autumn-planted ripens a fortnight earlier but  does not keep as well. mine starts to develop shoots about chhristmas. spring planted develops smaller bulbs but lasts till about february with me.

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2005, 14:03:48 »
last year my onions from Marshalls came in Sept, and then my Garlics didnt turn up until about November. Think it depends where thye get their stuff from and what varaity you get.

spacehopper

• Hectare
  • Its a jungle out there...
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2005, 21:16:48 »
I got some of the garlic in between showers. It was going really well til Baz lit a bonfire and smoked me out.  ::) Was good to have a bonfire though and have a tidy up. Also did a bit of weeding.  He's got the day off tomorrow and has assured me he'll plant them then.

Hope you are feeling better soon Robert.
Make the most of today, because you'll never have it back again.

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2005, 23:17:33 »
They should catch up with earlier planted stuff no problem, just be a few weeks later next year, but who is counting ?

fbgrifter

• Acre
  • All change
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2005, 18:59:47 »
got my T&M garlic too, one of the bulbs is all mouldy - not impressed  :(
It'll be better next year

the_snail

• Hectare
  • Be Kind to Slugs and Snails! :)
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2005, 06:19:50 »
Just to invite a learned reply, does garlic appreciate being replanted once the roots have grown ... ?

Derekthefox 

I dont think it is advised but I am going to have ago anyway because I would only throw them away, so I have nothing to loose only to gain. It is advised to bye fresh stock so there is no chances of the bulbs having viruses.

The_Snail
Be kind to slugs and snails!

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2005, 08:40:43 »
Fresh stock every year works out rather expensive. A more economical approach is to get fresh heads every two or three years ...

That is, unless your garlic consumption is considerably less than mine ...  ;D

Good luck on the replanting,

christine

• Not So New ...
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2005, 14:14:43 »

Derekthefox 

From Joy Larkcom (learned veg queen), apropos growing garlic in heavy/poorly-drained soil:

"Plant cloves individually in modules in autumn and overwinter in cold frames.  Plant sprouted cloves outside in spring.  (This produces excellent crops.)"

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2005, 19:05:59 »
Oh dear - I must, MUST get some garlic on order if I'm not too late - feel guilty reading these posts!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal