Author Topic: Electric lighting in shed  (Read 7887 times)

wardy

• Hectare
Electric lighting in shed
« on: November 12, 2005, 10:26:24 »
Does anyone know how I can have an electric light in my shed which is not connected to the mains. 
« Last Edit: November 27, 2005, 17:34:38 by wardy »
I came, I saw, I composted

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Electric lighting in shed
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2005, 13:45:35 »
You can run a light bulb if you get one with the appropriate voltage. Just rig up a 12-volt battery with a 12-volt bulb and a switch, and take the battery home to recharge it when it gets dim.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2005, 14:26:17 »
Wardy Have you thought about a touch light. I have one hanging in my kitchen so that if my electricity cuts out  (I HAVE PAID MY BILL)  I have light in kitchen to get to fuse box. Since the new fuse box was put in if a bulb goes it "trips" the electric. Just an idea.

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2005, 14:31:27 »
I was discussing this very problem this morning on our allotments. The main problem with a battery is that is only going to be about 30-35 Amphour capacity, which for a 60W lamp is going to give 6-7 hours usage maximum. I think the best solution is a gas lamp, running off butane, one of the camping types. The alternative to this is a similar lamp which uses D type rechargeable cells, or one of the rechargeable torches with a lantern strip. These are popular in trade use, so you may find one at somewhere like B&Q or a trade supplier. You just take the lamp home with you for recharging. You will normally get a couple of hours use off a single charge.

Derekthefox :D

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2005, 17:22:56 »
buy an emergency light, there a floresent tube that need to be charged at the mains but when disconnected will run off a battery, the same things that you see in offices etc.

they are a tad expensive but all you need to do is take it home every now and again charge it up, then turn it off, take it to the lottie, turn it on and off as you wish and it will run off the battery, then charge it again.  Should get a good few hours off it.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2005, 17:50:37 »
What about the good old paraffin mantle lamp with a globe. - or a paraffin pressure  lamp?

All my early youth was lit by those &, for 3 years in India, that's all we had.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2005, 19:26:36 »
Same here, except that it was in a caravan outside Oxford. I still have an old Tilly lamp.

wardy

• Hectare
Electric light in shed
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2005, 19:31:07 »
Was at the plot this afto trying to pot on caulis but got too dark so lit my little paraffin hurricane lamp but it only holds about an egg cup full of fuel and the flame was not much bigger than a match flare  ;D  Like the idea of paraffin though but a bit nervous the shed might catch fire  ;D  

Will google for emergency lamp.  As I say Adam my  fluourescent torch was a tad rubbish (B & Q) and didn't illuminate much at all so will be on the look out for a better system.

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2005, 10:36:45 »
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MENVIER-MAINTAINED-M3-EMERGENCY-LIGHT_W0QQitemZ7560745549QQcategoryZ41499QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

i think most last about 3 hours on a full charge, so should be enough for a couple of trips down to the lottie, if you remeber to switch it off when not using it.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2005, 21:55:38 »
Ta for that info Adam - sounds great  :)

Derek

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2005, 06:49:57 »
Those of you who were around in the seventies will remember the power cuts... I recall a member of the family had a Tilly lamp and I was very impressed at the time.

It seemed to give good light and heat too.

In the dark cold days of late Autumn and Winter this may be a very viable option

Derek
Derek... South Leicestershire

I am in my own little world, ...it's OK, ...they know me there!

beejay

• Acre
  • SW London
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2005, 09:12:39 »
Oooh, the words tilly lamp just brought my childhood flooding back. Lived in the wilds of Cumbria in one of the last places to get electrcity, so had calor gas lighting. But on christmas morning when we would get up earlier than the crack of dawn to see if "He'd  been", my Dad would light the tilly lamp & we would sit emptying our stocking with the lamp hissing away in the background. Sigh!

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2005, 11:24:33 »
Hurracane lamps are still around. Ordinary wick running from paraffin.
Have thought about having a try at a wind turbine to rotate a small dynamo, like off a bike maybe. Snag is you have to work quick like during windy gusts. There must be a simple set-up where a battery can be topped up using a home-made windmill affair.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2005, 13:42:41 »
Wardy when we go camping we use a gaz light and it really does the trick, we manage to play cards and drink a bottle of wine by it! ;D ;)
This sort of thing
http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/products.asp?partno=2494
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

petemason

• Half Acre
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2005, 15:53:46 »
This is the sort of thing we use for camping:

but this looks like far more fun!

Both available at www.towsure.com
Oldham born, Oldham bred.
Strong inth'arm and thick inth'ead

http://mysticveg.blogspot.com/

JohnnyLarge

• Not So New ...
  • Rotovator Motivator!
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2005, 18:32:51 »
Went into Chesterfield on Thursday for a book for my ECDL course. The local flea market was on. I happened to go past a stall with a boxed Tilley Lamp on it.
I picked it up had a quick quint inside.
'How much, Duck'.
'It needs one of them cloth thingies', she said. 'It's 2 quid'.
Quick as a quick thing from Quicksville, I gave her £2. This lamp has been used probably once, boxed with instructions and the lighter thingy and bottle.
99.9% mint condition. I got a mantle for £2 from the Army Stores.
New price? £89.99 (the chrome one is the one I have)
http://www.tilleylamp.co.uk/.

We don't have a gas main to our house. We are all electric. So if we have the harsh winter as forecasted, and the power is cut off, we will at least have heat and light in one room. I've got a little Bluet stove to cook on if we need to.

Has anyone else had bargains from Car Boots or Flea Markets they are particularly proud of?
If at first you don't succeed, Think... Sod It, and find something else to do!

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2005, 19:23:39 »
Wardy. Can't imagine why your niece thinks that. You seem OK to me. You may have a crazy dog but you seem quite sane, having said that my family think I am a little mad. I suppose that accounts for me thinking YOU are NORMAL   LOL.

Gardenantics

• Acre
    • Garden Antics
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2005, 01:08:25 »
Wardy,

I had a system for giving my hens a few hours more light which worked well. Get a low energy fluorescent tube from a camping shop, connect this to a car battery, and connect the battery to a solar battery charger they sell for plugging into your cigarette lighter on the dash of your car, and put the solar panel on the roof or in the window.

Brian

Bionic Wellies

• Acre
  • That many spuds !
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2005, 09:17:50 »
I have set up a Solar Panel and a couple of 185 AmpHour batteries and then wired up a set of low-voltage halogen bulbs - there is plenty of light in my garage (where I do all my work).  I'm also in the process of constructing a wind turbine to help increase the power input.  There are loads of devices/products out there to do just what you want - but at a price!

Try http://www.cps-solar.co.uk/uk2shop-13.htm - they do some solar battery chargers - then use one of those head-worn lamps - they will give shed loads of light  ;D
Always look on the bright side of life

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2005, 13:04:14 »
Bionic; Would like to see what you have gathered regarding turbine re-charging and all the bits that make up the circuit.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal