Author Topic: Skin and coat problems  (Read 9968 times)

Gardengirl

• Hectare
Skin and coat problems
« on: January 14, 2004, 19:02:54 »
For the past couple of years we have been battling with our dogs skin and coat problems :'(

Have spent an absolute fortune at the vets and don't seem to be getting very far.  The problem is with our dog Bobbie - he lost alot of his fur (mainly on his face, tail and top of his back) and also his skin was very dry and scaley.

The vet reckons he has a zinc deficiencey and also is allergic to house dust mites, of all things :o  We have had loads of  blood tests taken and in the end it may turn out that he has to be treated for a thyroid problem.

I just wondered if anyone else has experienced anything like this with their pets and if so, what was the solution.  ??? Any ideas welcome.

ps Keep your lovely photos coming, or Dan may remove this forum if it is not used :)
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 by 1077926400 »
Happy gardening all...........Pat

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
Re: Skin and coat problems
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2004, 21:10:17 »
Oh Pat dogs can throw a reaction to anything.
I had two westies he reacted to shake and vac should have seen his tummy.
She was the vet said mites under the skin and with tablets and shampoo controlled it but the coat never grew back propley. Had to change vets in the end I was so frustrated.
Food can be one so I changed to rice and boiled chicken,
flea bites can be another, which you cannot stop
the bedding?
Shampoo what is in it,

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2004, 21:17:18 »
Yes Teresa - we changed our dogs onto James Wellbeloved Lamb & Rice food as this was recommended for all sorts of alergic conditions.   I know the vets have a hard time of it trying to diagnose skin and coat problems, it can be so many things, but it is very frustrating when you are spending loads of money and don't seem to be getting anywhere.

I have heard that Westies are prone to skin problems, we have a friend with one and  the vet has put her on some sort of steroid.  Wouldn't do for my boys I don't think - it would bring out the beast in them :o

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2004, 01:04:10 »
Hi Pat

Have a look at this site and check out the others,

www.st-ives-vet...o.uk/sarcop.htm

gives an insite to the mite which is a great problem in some dogs with delicate skin.

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2004, 13:49:32 »
Thanks for the info Teresa, but I couldn't get into the site from your link :(

The vet has ruled out mites, so I don't think this is the problem.

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2004, 17:49:01 »
Hi Pat has he done a skin scrap to send for test?
dont know if I mentioned before antihistime cream is also good for problem areas, if they flare up, iching.
I keyed in Mange come up with loads of sites, discribing skin conditions. Mange is common as if a fox passing or rolling and your dog rolls same place picks up the mite.
even E45 cream to soften the dry aeras.

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2004, 20:41:22 »
Yes Teresa, he has had skin scrapes done and they ruled out mange.  I tell you, there isn't anything that hasn't been done to the poor thing.  We have had to leave him at the vet's all day a couple of times while extensive blood tests and skin tests were done.  Hopefully, we will get the result of the latest blood tests tomorrow and with a bit of luck know which route to take for the treatment.  Watch this space - I will let you know ::)

Having said all that, his coat, particularly his tail is beginning to improve, perhaps the zinc tablets he is already taking are beginning to take effect.  If we get him back to his former glory I will post a picture of him to celebrate :D

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2004, 20:13:57 »
Oh do hope your baby gets better soon,
dont know whats the worse trying all the pills and lotions the vet gives you or all the tests costs a fortune.
Have you got insurance cover on them do let us know what happens

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2004, 20:38:57 »
No Teresa, we haven't got insurance.  We didn't bother as I have heard from other people that there are so many loopholes when it comes to the insurance company paying out we took a chance.  I don't mind how much money we spend as long as the end result is good.

One consolation is that he is still his old happy, naughty, lively self so that is something.  Haven't heard from the vet yet so don't know what the final verdict is. Probably have to wait until Monday now.

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2004, 21:21:51 »
Oh Pat,
hope all goes well on monday and hopefully this is a one of thing for him.
Insurance is a strange thing when I looked into it mine were too old.

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2004, 11:31:45 »
The saga continues ???  Since my last message Bobbie has had to spend yet another day at the vets having more blood tests.  Quite honestly I think the vet is groping around in the dark trying to find a solution >:(

As a result of these tests we have now got to take a urine sample to the vet today and then perhaps with a bit of luck they will make up their mind how they are going to treat him (if at all :-/)

Let you know the result Teresa.

One consolation is that he looks as if he is getting better, albeit slowly, I think the zinc tablets he is taking are having some effect.  One thing I do know is that I am not going to allow him to go through any more tests.  It seems as if we are throwing loads of money at the vet to no avail :-X

mellie

• Not So New ...
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2004, 11:39:10 »
Just a thought but have you tried washing him with tea tree shampoo, just the ordinary stuff that you would buy for yourself? I suffer from eczema and find that it helps me so maybee it's worth a try! :)

minerva

• Quarter Acre
    • Antiquities
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2004, 13:33:56 »
You can get a tea tree lotion just for dogs, it works quite well on my dog, she seems to get allergies to all sorts of things, we have had loads of shampoos and creams from the vet,  but when we took her to france she got quite a bad rash and we took her to a human chemist, they had a pet section and they gave her some tea tree lotion that worked, we have since found it in the local pet section of the garden centre,  it is quite thick like e45 and she doesn't lick it off too much, it stops the itching and seems to dry away the rash- definatley worth a go.
samxx

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2004, 14:41:08 »
Thanks for the suggestion Mellie & Sam.  Yes I have tried tea tree shampoo and I must say that it did help the dryness of his skin.  Also tried the tea tree ointment for his tail and this also helped cure the flakiness of the skin which enabled some of the fur to grow back.

The thing is the vet seems to think he has some underlying problem which he is trying to diagnose, but as I said before, enough is enough and I am not going to put him through any more tests as he is a very lively, happy dog, and in any event I am convinced that we may be on the road to recovery, even though it is a slow progress.

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2004, 20:53:00 »
Well - we have been to the vet and I must say I am completely disillusioned >:(  I think the vet is just out to get as much money as he can from us.  After promising that this was the last test Bobbie would have to have he said that the tests were not completely conclusive and he would have to have another one.  Even then he told me that the results may not be conclusive.   ???

We have spent in all over £800 and really got nowhere >:(

Have decided to keep giving him the zinc tablets and see how he goes.  As I said before, he is his usual happy lively self so I am not prepared to put him through any more.  Am I doing the right thing I wonder ???

mellie

• Not So New ...
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2004, 18:49:30 »
As long as he is happy and not moping about I think you are doing the right thing. My cat doesn't go to the vets unless he is really bad, he doesnt like going there and as he doesnt go out he doesnt need any jabs. I hope he gets better but I dont think it is worth keep going to the vets. :)

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2004, 20:16:39 »
Thanks Mellie.  Actually, I have decided now to go back to my original vet.  Better the devil you know, as they say.  I just could not get on with the other vet and only went to him in the first place for a second opinion on Bobbie's condition.  Hopefully he will pass on the blood test results to my old vet and I can see what they say about it.  Bobbie does seem to be getting better slowly. His coat is improving and the fur on his tail is growing back.  It is a worry, but as you say, he is happy and lively so there can't be an awful lot wrong.

The second vet said he was testing for something called Cushings Disease which is very serious if not treated, but I looked it up on the net and apart from the thinning coat (which is now getting better) I can't see that Bobbie has any of the other symptoms, unless I am missing something.   We will see.  Here's hoping :-/

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2004, 21:57:37 »
Hi Pat have you tried the net your self?
There was a site I could not get into tonight a clinic where vets refer dogs to with skin problems.
I just keyed in itchy skin in dogs ( very simple it has to be for me)
come across this site as well
http://www.ask.co.uk/ix.asp?q=itchy+skin+in+dogs&ac=none&xx=0&qid=D9E1E61644B29543B644D84177A04A75&p=1&s=4&sp=ix&fn=guk&b=0&fo=1&r=3&io=2&fp=2&fr=1&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Egoogle%2Ecom%2Furl%3Fq%3Dhttp%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ethepetstore%2Enet%2Frestore%2Ehtm%26sa%3Dl%26ai%3DAs1pRhAWGAVKqMgs6gAq15OrAMzNvCAch3KEiBKsO5IQrRBA4UPQADIgiWAQYq1Sdr1ibv5WYkVHb0BAAAAA%26num%3D2&adurl=&durl=www%2Edoghealth%2Eco%2Euk
Oh my god did not think there was so much of in just selling a powder?
thinking of you

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2004, 11:32:56 »
My God Teresa - that's some site isn't it ::)  Thanks for that - any contributions gratefully received :)

I have an appointment with my original vet soon so I will see what she comes up with.  I can't see that he has Cushings Disease as he is so happy and lively and as I said before, none of the symptoms.  He is at this moment having a rough and tumble with Busby (our other Flatcoat).  I tell you it doesn't do to be houseproud when you have a couple of 'mad muts' - can't keep up with the dusting :-/
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:02 by -1 »

Shuffles

• Not So New ...
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2004, 20:54:10 »
Hi Patricia,

Have you considered changing your dog's diet? Some people suggest that the cereals used to bulk-up commercial dog-food increases the chances of the dog having an allergy to something. Our dogs are fed a Bones and Raw Food (BARF) diet.  The basic idea behind this is that a dogs digestive system hasn't really evolved since from it's carnivorous ancestors, i.e. probably 80% of it's diet is raw meat and bone.

Just to prove I'm not some nutter who's slowly killing my dogs with some dangerous fad here a link to the web-ring of people who are using and having success with the diet:

http://www.ringsurf.com/netring?ring=barf;action=list

and a good faq:

http://www.njboxers.com/faqs.htm#plans

A crucial part of the diet invloves the feeding of raw bones. It's crucial that they are raw though, as once cooked they become brittle and can splinter, this doesn't happen with raw bones as they are softer and can be chewed up quite easily.

Our 2 corgis eat a mixture of uncooked meat and bones, including chicken wings, chicken necks, tripe & small amounts of other offal. I would recommend the diet to any dog owners, the benefits include a better immune system, less vet visits, cleaner teeth, better breath, fantastic coats and just livelier dogs.

It is probably a little more expensive to feed this way, but as you'll see from the websites I've linked, lots of people can vouch for how rarely they need to visit their vets once they have changed over to a raw diet.

I hope this is of some use, and maybe gives you some different avenues to consider...

Good luck!

Paul

PS. Your dogs will love it!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal