Author Topic: Another newbie  (Read 2056 times)

dandelion

• Hectare
    • An Vrombaut
Another newbie
« on: November 16, 2005, 20:44:27 »
I've just taken on a half plot. The soil is heavy clay and it's overgrown, mainly grass, some docks and a few menacing looking clumps of horseradish. The council have offered to rotavate it, but I thought I'd better get rid of the weeds first! I haven't decided yet how I'll do this. Should I
A) Cover the lot with corrugated cardboard. We're just having a new bathroom fitted and so I've got some nice big pieces. How long will it take for the weeds to die? Is there any point in putting the cardboard down now, or should I wait till spring? How long will the cardboard last? Should I use more than one layer?
OR
B) Spray with Roundup? Again, is there any point in doing it now? Or wait till spring? How long will it take to kill the weeds?
What's the best way to deal with the horseradish?

I'll post an image of someone can tell me how to!

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
Re: Another newbie
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2005, 21:06:51 »
Hi dandelion. Just to say welcome to A4A, it is a great site but must warn you it becomes very addictive.!! The experts on here will I am sure give you sound advice. I only have a garden and have only ever grown runner beans, tomatoes, cucumbers. Going to try a few more veg next year, I do love my hanging baskets and tubs though. Best wishes Lorna.

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2005, 22:20:37 »
Hello Dandelion - just had a look at your other site.  I am a primary school teacher so may have uses for you  ;D
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2005, 00:09:48 »
Hi Dandelion

Firstly roundup doesn't work well at this time of year as thigs aren't growing so don't take it into their roots. The best thing you can do is cover the ground with something waterproof if possible. You'll find that dry ground is easier to get the rooots out of by a factor of about a million. If you think you will have time to really get stuck in in the new year, I'd leave it covered till around February. If you clear it then there's a chance for the weeds to regrow before planting time so you can find the rest of the roots. If you can only use cardboard then more layers is better as the ground will not get as wet.

The bst way to deal with rampant horseradish is to move plots lol. It can be really hard to dig up completely. Roundup will work at a higher concentration than normal but don't expect instant or complete results with one spraying.

Diane177432

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2005, 10:04:13 »
Hi Dandelion,

From a fellow newbie, welcome to the site...lovely bunch of people here with tons of good advice. Best of luck with your lotty!

Diane
x

Meg

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2005, 10:43:11 »
Hi Dandelion,
                    how lovely am sure you will have plenty of fun.
You could dig over a small bit and  put in some garlic or onions or broad beans . So at least you will have started.
I bought a membrane from a builder's suppliers that covered a lot of ground. It did cost £25 but I am hoping that it will do the trick to ward of the weeds.
All the best
Marigold

dandelion

• Hectare
    • An Vrombaut
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2005, 20:57:51 »
Thanks for the advice. I think I'll dig up a small area to cultivate by hand first. Then I will put cardboard down on the rest , with plastic on the top. In the spring I'll remove the plastic, check under the cardboard and perhaps spray the horseradish with roundup. Then I'll make a few big holes and fill them with compost and manure to grow pumpkins. And ask the council to rotavate next autumn.

Delilah

• Hectare
  • its OK to be slightly cracked!
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2005, 06:41:02 »
Hello dandelion - welcome - between a4a and your allotment you'll never be bored  :D
If you don't make mistakes, you'll never make anything!

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2005, 08:03:07 »
Hi Dandelion,  welcome

MikeB

ellkebe

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2005, 19:15:34 »
Hi Dandelion - happy allotmenteering  :)

I'm still regularly strimming your lot to keep you under control but still  ....  now if you'd called yourself couch grass or bindweed, I wouldn't be talking to you at all  ;D ;D

undercarriage plan

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2005, 19:49:18 »
Hey Dandelion!! Welcome and enjoy!
Lottie  ;D

Jimbo

• Quarter Acre
  • Daddy's Girl
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2005, 08:37:05 »
Hey, Dandelion, nice to hear from another Newbie!

I'm a complete Newbie too, taking my first allotment a few weeks ago.  Fortunately, mine had been fallow since March and the Council had covered it, so there was little annual weed on the plot, but plenty, deep-rooted mares-tail and other such perennial Lottie horrors.  There isa lot to be said for covering, particularly if you have a lot of annual weed.

I am on a heavy clay, but this time of year, the perennial pulls out okay, as I am slowly digging across my Lottie.  Already got some Garlic and Dwarf Broad Beans in, and am experimenting with a green manure (winter field bean) to dig back in, in the Spring and hopefully put some texture back into my soil.

Let us know how you get on!
From the virtual quill of the Splott-Lotter

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal