Author Topic: Quail!!  (Read 3768 times)

undercarriage plan

Quail!!
« on: November 11, 2005, 09:22:23 »
 Situation so far, all relevant people convinced, bar those that aren't... ::) Last night had phone call to confirm incubator use, and the chap will also take them off my hands, if, God forbid the PT does have to be taken down, but if this does happen will be chaining myself to hoops anyway, so will be otherwise enagaged!! If I wait for decision, it could be years!! I'm also in contact with a man who has an aviary, and specializes in quail!! Next step for me is to meet up with him and get the whole lowdown, and annoy Jaggy and Truffle at regular intervals...with, I imagine various squeals of glee and sobs!!! ;D
Lottie

undercarriage plan

Re: Quail!!
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2005, 13:09:52 »
Wardy! Come here, you little beaut!! Am planting kiss firmly on cheek! Will put you down now.....LOL!! Excellent idea! There are loads of Delis in our tiny town!! That and antique shops of course... ::) ::) ::) May be enough to convince those sceptics, but then again, why bother!! Will send you egg when have quails, can't wait to see postman's face this time.... :o ;D ;)
Lottie

Truffle

• Half Acre
    • Grow truffles!-
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2005, 13:24:57 »
Wow!!

Sounds like you've really got moving, and an incubator - very professional. I was going to try a cardboard box with a heat lamp, but may try an borrow an incubator too.

And Lottie, the reason I don't have to do any convincing is that my GF pretty much leaves me up to my own devices when it comes to allotments, fruit in the garden, chooks and now quails...

I also like Wardy's idea of selling the eggs, could be a good money spinner.

Oh, and 'annoy' me all you want Lottie  ;D I'd love to see regular updates!

www.PlantationSystems.com
Want to know about truffles? then visit our website, you can even buy truffle-trees ;-)

undercarriage plan

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2005, 14:01:05 »
LOL! Thanks, Truffle, you may regret saying that...!! I'm pretty much left to own devices, but find that most peeps see just the negative!  ::)!
So far, haven't come across something that doesn't have a soltuion, as regards this quail thingy.....At the min, I'm trying to work out, how to increae ventilation in the summer, and keep quails in and pests out. Have also been told that foxes etc may rip covering to gain access, but covering pretty tough, and dug down to 2ft depth. 
I'm trying not to be impatient,  but want to start now!!! AS for incubator, could put ad in paper? Good luck!
Lottie  ;D

undercarriage plan

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2005, 15:22:46 »
Well for me, cos eggs are cheap, and cos I'd like them to imprint on me!! They can come play on puter then, and hang about in cool, quail-like way......and would love to see them hatch, and see teeny weeny fluff balls!! See! Very practical reasons...I'm sure Truffle has the real ones, will wait and then copy his answer..... ;D ;D ;D
Lottie

GREENWIZARD

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2005, 18:58:58 »
I'd like them to imprint on me!!
~feeling broody again L? ;D
good luck with your new venture :)  
ALL PHOTOGRAPHS ARE COPYRIGHT

undercarriage plan

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2005, 19:34:44 »
OMG, GW!!! NOOoooooooo!! LOL!! I've done my bit and then some!! Much as I love the kiddies, I break out in a cold sweat if anyone approaches me with a baby!! And thank you!! Jack's named his fantasy quail......he's calling it Burp... ::) ;D
Lottie

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2005, 00:24:44 »
It was Friday night Wardy - we were all at the pub.   ;D
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

undercarriage plan

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2005, 16:15:35 »
Bet his on time tonight..... ;D ;)

undercarriage plan

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2005, 20:27:59 »
Erm...hangs head in shame....nope! Still awaiting call from quail expert person. He's supposed to be showing me round his aviary...But get this!! He only married my old best friend from Primary school!! Haven't seen her in erm...long time...perhaps explains delay in phoning?? ::) ;)

dibberxxx

• Hectare
  • The Mad One!
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2005, 12:22:37 »
i used to keep Chinese painted Quails , when i have a aviary , they are so sweet the even breed ,the babies are tiny like little bumble bees , go for it lottie the kids will love them

undercarriage plan

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2005, 13:11:17 »
Excellent..Another brain to pick!! Am still waiting for darn phone call as to when can visit this chap's quail... ::) But I am learning patience....badly.. ;D ;)

dibberxxx

• Hectare
  • The Mad One!
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2005, 18:56:08 »
Just ring him and tell him you are on your way  ;D ;D ;D ;D

undercarriage plan

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2005, 19:08:45 »
LOL!!! You crafty mare!!!! OK! But you know how shy I get, Dibs...... ;D ;)

dibberxxx

• Hectare
  • The Mad One!
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2005, 19:33:50 »
i will ring him for you lottie and tell him lottie and  dibs are on there way , :o :o :o  and ask him if he would you like us to pick anything up for him on our way there  ;D ;D ;D

undercarriage plan

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2005, 20:06:35 »
OMG! PLease don't!! LOL! Try the " I too am a quail expert...and... I completely disagree with the flumineg method of quail plucking....what are your thoughts on this matter...?" Will see you, in street, engine running next Tuesday.... ;D ;D ;D ;)

jaggythistle

• Acre
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2005, 00:35:49 »

First lesson....you don't pluck em !!! :o :o you skin them

Just out of curiosity lottie...the incubator...is it a self turner..??

Cos if not you will need to hand turn them (eggs) 3 times a day
  for 17 days....... and then you have to keep your humidity constant up
  till bout 2 days from hatching....when I say turn I don't just mean any old
  way either

Kevin

undercarriage plan

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2005, 09:17:40 »
Well Jags, I was just considering light plucking in case they got too hot in summer...... ;D
As to the incubator, I have choice of 2, lucky gal, having read that will opt for the smaller self-turning one. I've also managed to lay my hands on an old aquarium, still need light though. How big should the aquarium be for either 6 or 12 little bumble bees? Ty
Lottie  ;D

jaggythistle

• Acre
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2005, 21:00:58 »

Just bear in mind...the bigger the tank...the bigger the heat source has to
  be....goldfish size would be ample....12ins X5-6 ins....remember they only
  bumble bee size to start with.....!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

undercarriage plan

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2005, 21:15:32 »
Well, have that size tank!!So that good start... Heat source, does that have to come from very expensive heat source shop? Or will hanging light bulb do? Or will I end up with fried bumble bees in the morning?? Am so scared bout hurting my as yet to be bought quail! And, awwww, wouldn't they be sweet if did stay bumble bee size....Not much to pluck though.. ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal