Author Topic: Lifting potatoes  (Read 2013 times)

undercarriage plan

Lifting potatoes
« on: November 09, 2005, 09:41:07 »
I've looked, honest, and can't find info! I am really, really late in lifting left over spuds. I have 3 rows of pink fir and 2 rows of huge Charlottes left (got carried away..). If I lift them now, and put them in potato sacks, will they rot? It has been so wet here! But is a lovely sunny day, and I'd love to go and lift them this PM, any suggestions will be acted on sharpish! Thanks
Lottie ;D

Bodolph

• Not So New ...
  • "Another day - another plant"
Re: Lifting potatoes
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2005, 11:17:11 »
Lifting them and drying them in the sun is great advise provided the weather cooperates! I've been lifting mine and then washing the soil off. Take a large old dark towel and dry them - then into hessian sacks. Seems to be working fine.
"...Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so..."

undercarriage plan

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2005, 13:24:44 »
OK! Thanks Wardy! and Bodolph Screeched in from work, dug up pink firs and hurled them on floor of PT for couple of hours to dry off, then am going to kidnap children and get them to brush off soil, while I get Charlottes out....Am having rest!! But thanks for advice. How long does it take for a potato to turn green?
Lottie  ;D

undercarriage plan

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2005, 13:30:45 »
Cna I have a coffee and browse first???? You're a real slave driver!! Hope postman not too wet!! Thought my wrapping technique was inspired!! Am trying to come up with cunning plan for goosegogs and rhubarb delivery...!
Lottie  ;D

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2005, 16:02:54 »
There is hope for me yet then, for I still have 7 yards of PFA still buried. I had all but given up on them, thinking there will be some fat slugs around, but perhaps I will be lucky then?

Derekthefox :D

shifty581

• Quarter Acre
  • Old digger
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2005, 16:46:06 »
store your potatoes in a dark room, then thy wont go green  ;)
Tony Shoo (shifty)

undercarriage plan

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2005, 16:51:19 »
So if I put them in bags tomorrow, when they're dry, they won't have been in sun long enough to turn green? Will have been in sun for couple of hours....well, at the end of the day, have done it now!! LOL!  ;D
Lottie

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2005, 18:02:23 »
I kept mine out for about 24 hours back in the summer time so I should think you will be alright.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

undercarriage plan

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2005, 18:42:37 »
Thanks Redclanger!! Was worried Wardy would be out here with megaphone....Have left pink firs overnight in PT, dirt was still bit damp, will attack Charlotte's tomorrow, weather permitting..........
Lottie

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2005, 07:08:48 »
Sounds a bit daft this, but what I do it lift them when its dry and windy.
Wheelbarrow them home, straight into back garden, tip out onto (tiny) lawn and spread out.
Get out hose and put sprinkler attachment on, wash off dirt and leave to dry.
That way the lawn gets watered too.

undercarriage plan

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2005, 09:14:32 »
Sshhhh Wards!! LOL! Made fatal mistake of believing weather forecaster who predicted gale force winds and rain, so stayed up far too late, and am feeling slightly delicate....It's not gale force winds and no rain...sigh.....so will be planting wobbley trees this am....finish pots this PM, or have snooze in PT!!!  ;D
Lottie

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2005, 09:20:26 »
I tend to wash my all my veg when down on the plot ... I have a water butt and a brush, and a plastic basket. So my spuds would get dunked and scrubbed, and then after draining, I lay them out on pallets in my shed, so they are protected from the weather. Unfortunately, they are not protected from the rats and mice, and they have been nibbled before now ... but at least they are then easy to bring home in buckets, without half of the allotment still attached ...

And if anyone were to meet me, they would say I am definitely NOT posh !  ;D

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2005, 14:11:40 »
Obviously some people have a shed big enough for more than just a chair... not posh eh?

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2005, 18:45:30 »
Well my shed hasnt even got a chair ... I sit on a pallet if I need to, but the shed was built all by myself, reclaiming all the timber from pallets, and even the nails ... the only things I bought were the hinges and hasp and staple because I didnt have the steel to make them, and the felt for the roof, because I didnt fancy messing around with tar ...

It may not be pretty, but it is definitely something created by me, now what would a posh person have done ...  ;D

Am I missing something here, or has one of Wardy's posts been deleted ...
« Last Edit: November 10, 2005, 18:53:40 by Derekthefox »

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2005, 22:53:52 »
I have read many threads where somebody appears to be replying to wardy's ghost.  Do you think she goes round deleting her posts to confuse us all?
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2005, 23:53:32 »
Ha ha, well its reassuring to know I am not going bonkers. And I love an untidy shed, where there are nooks and crannies, to discover things years later ...

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal