Author Topic: Turning pump off in winter?  (Read 2149 times)

sand

• Half Acre
  • North North Staffordshire
Turning pump off in winter?
« on: November 02, 2005, 23:46:25 »
Hello again,

I've been advised by someone who keeps carp that it's ok to turn the pump off on the filter for the winter.  He recommended as a rule of thumb to switch off when the clocks go back.

I haven't done it yet.  Should I remove it completely or just clean it and leave it all intact?  I haven't been feeding the fish as much lately, they're not interested and staying down.

sand

Margaret

• Hectare
  • My precious granddaughter Lauren
Re: Turning pump off in winter?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2005, 10:34:49 »
Hi Sand.If i were you,and many agree with me,i would NEVER turn your pump off.The best thing regards feeding is to feed wheatmeal pellets for a while until it turns much colder,as they can easily digest them,and then again in the spring to get their digestive systems going again.Over the winter do not feed at all.

The reason for not turning the pump off is to keep the filtration ticking over.Even while the fish are not feeding it is still a good idea to keep the water filtered and saves having to start from scratch again in the spring.Secondly the flow of water will hepl prevent ice forming over the whole area of your pond,,leaving an area free for gases to escape and oxygen to enter.

I only ever turned my pump off once ,the first winter i kept fish in a pond.I lost several and has all sorts of problems.However do be careful not to have too fast a flow back to the pond,turn it down if it runs a waterfall,or place the pipe just under the water.
Margaret

dibberxxx

• Hectare
  • The Mad One!
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2005, 19:42:38 »
i agree with margaret, i never turn my pumps off in winter , but i do slow them down i also keep all the filters going to

sand

• Half Acre
  • North North Staffordshire
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2005, 18:49:15 »
Thanks for your replies - that was quick!

I don't know how to turn down the pump, I've managed to stop the fountain which was annoying me by taping up the outlet but the filter sends 2 streams of water into the pond, falling about 6" into the water.  Not gushing, but maybe it could be reduced to a trickle, if I only knew how?  I've taken the whole lot out of the pond and examined it and read and re-read the instructions left for us by the previous occupiers but I cannot find anyway of controlling the flow.

So, I may leave it on after all.

sand

Margaret

• Hectare
  • My precious granddaughter Lauren
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2005, 21:12:48 »
Hiya again.Yes i remember you doing that.How exactly does the water return from the filter to your pond? if by a pipe then it would be easy to replace with one slightly longer so that the water goes directly into the pond as the oxygenation needed in summer is no longer required obviously in cold weather.When i had my old pond set up,i used to change the flow from the filter in winter from running down the waterfall and dropping in,to a direct pipe into the pond.Otherwise you can fit a tap inline ,but this is not so advisable as it then puts pressure on the pump.
Margaret

sid

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2005, 19:21:00 »
no dont turne it off just lift it up to the margen if u have one if not put it on sumthing to lift it up so u r not taking the warmer warter from the bottom of the pond also it will stop the pond from freezing

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal