Author Topic: fungus  (Read 1739 times)

Jclaire

fungus
« on: November 09, 2005, 20:53:39 »
Hello everyone I am  a newbie here..look forward to chatting with you all. I have been keeping a pond for 4 years with no problems ....till now ???. My Ghost Carp has fungus growing . He has two patches either side the top of his back , with another patch further down his back which looks ulcerated.
I have isolated him in a small tank in the garage, and treated him yesterday with Potassium Permanganate(hope that is spelt right!) It seems to be working, as I scraped the fungus off yesterday and so far it hasn't returned.
What I am wondering is , how often should I treat him, to ensure this fungus doesn't return....yesterday he had 4 dips in close succession..each dip lasting approx2 - 4 minutes.
Regards
Claire

chriszog

• Half Acre
Re: fungus
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2005, 20:57:41 »
Hi and welcome to the site
It sounds like the treatment is fine the only thing i can say is dont scrape off the growths this will only do more harm. Keep him isolated and keep an eye on the open sore. It may only be a case of Carp pox due to the adverse weather.
keep an eye on him and good luck
Regards
Chriszog

Jclaire

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2005, 21:09:35 »
Hi chriszog ...thanks for the quick reply :D ...must admit I wondered if I was doing the right thing by scraping, as I noticed this morning he is looking very sore :-\. When would you recommend a repeat dose of pp?
I made a BIG mistake with him the other day someone recommend that I buy an Aquarium heater and set it to just under 20c...to help the treatment along (this was when I was using a proprietary brand of stuff for fungus infection... well it just made  the fungus grow at an alarming rate ,so what a waste of money that was!! :-[ :-[
Claire

chriszog

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2005, 21:36:41 »
I would now leave him for a week if no improvement re treat.The sores can be treated with Myxozin, but my advice is to now leave him as any further treatments may stress him and make things worse. do not heat the water just keep it well oxygenated.
Regards
Chris

Jclaire

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2005, 22:27:01 »
Hi Chris ...thanks for the advice... will do :) :)
Regards
Claire

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal