Author Topic: I HAVE ISSUES!  (Read 2436 times)

Yellow Petals

I HAVE ISSUES!
« on: November 08, 2005, 22:08:25 »
I have, within the past 10 minutes, been online to the official government website of certificates and ordered a duplicate birth certificate. 

All they wanted to know before sending it?  My dad's surname and forenames, my mum's maiden name and forenames, the hospital I was born in and my date of birth.  Oh.... and why I wanted another copy.

Higher state of security in the UK?  Don't make me laugh!  >:(
« Last Edit: November 08, 2005, 22:10:02 by Yellow Petals »

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
Re: I HAVE ISSUES!
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2005, 22:15:14 »
Oh dear - that is a bit easy! Very worrying  ::)

On the other hand - I went to the House of Commons today and had to go through more security than you do at an airport, surrounded by armed guards. Was quite funny moment though as the female security guard was about 5ft, I am 6ft2 in heels so she had to jump to check my shoulders and back  ;D

So - least the politicians are safe  ::)

Yellow Petals

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2005, 22:17:19 »
I remember when I worked for the MOD about ten years or so ago and I had to go all the way to Westminster to get my photo pass done (for goodness sake!) what a palava that was!  I think it was because I was to work in London and flit between buildings/departments but still a bit OTT.  Seemed even more OTT when I left after about four months, hehehehehe.

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2005, 22:41:54 »
A government department lost my marriage certificate last year, and I got another one from  Newcastle Civic Centre within 30 minutes.  I paid a fee and supplied them with very basic details about  my wedding, no other evidence was asked for; they looked it up in the church registry book and wrote another one off,  it was as simple as that.  I was amazed it was so easy and I felt rather concerned that anybody with the will who had done some research could have done the same. busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Rosa_Mundi

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2005, 22:46:28 »
Which probably goes some way to explaining why this "Christopher Buckingham" person was able to use a dead baby's identity for 20 years....

undercarriage plan

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2005, 23:05:35 »
Reminds me of my visit when taking kids to London. Wanted to show them inside Parliament, but we weren't allowed....was it cos MPs about?? No, cos not, was because they all on holiday! So we weren't allowed in!! Am still trying to work it out??? Surely best time to visit building is when no politicians there?? Then if I was gun-crazed terrorist noone to shoot? Am I missing something??  ???
Lottie

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2005, 23:10:08 »
Government buildings are (and should be) open during business because a democratic process has to be transparent.  Possibly closed during recess to put in new security measures/equipment or to give security a bit of a holiday.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

undercarriage plan

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2005, 23:16:18 »
But there were police everywhere!! All with huge great oozi thingies....those big concrete blocks outside the front, and me going " Lo, look children, the seat of our democracy!" And told we can't go in?? .. and me being me, went to one surly police officer and said " Why can't we just see inside the building?" And was told purely cos there were no politicains in there, don't want to see them, or likely to nip their ankles!!
Lottie  ;D

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2005, 14:42:29 »
Had to get daughter a new passport, and how does it arrive, in the post! No signing for it or anything!! :o  :o  :o   Old one came back in the post seperately too, with her birth cert! >:(  I thought the same, so much for security :-\
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Lily

• Acre
  • When the going gets tough, hide in the allotment.
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2005, 16:43:56 »
We had our new passports delivered by courier, a chap came in a plain car, didn't look like a postie.  He just pushed it through the letterbox.  Perhaps that is a safer way of delivery than going through the normal post. 

I'm always ordering certificates online for my family history.  I can see how easy it would be to get fraudulent documents once you get hold of a certificate.  However, I am sure there are databases somewhere with all our details on.

Lily
' A problem shared is a problem halved'

EmmaLou

• Half Acre
    • www.peachpicture.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2005, 22:20:02 »
We had to send loads of proof of id to our benefits office - this included all our birth certificates, driving licences, amenity bills, bank statements and passports. They then posted them back to the wrong address! Luckily the lady who received them was honest and forwarded them to us. Someone could easily have set up bank accounts and credit cards using all that info! The benefits dept had a lot of apologising to do!

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2005, 23:01:04 »
Sad thing that in this world we live in security is so important. I wonder if there is a full proof system. If things are too difficult then the powers that be are sometimes viewed as a "police" state. When my husband died there were a few shares which I was transferring to my name. I supplied a death certificate, then they wanted a verified copy of his will. Then they wanted the other executor (I was one) to sign a form. Unfortunately he had died but fortunately I knew his son who supplied me with the original copy of his Dad's death certificate. They wouldn't accept copies. All this for a few hundred pound worth of shares.   Lorna,

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal