Author Topic: Cleaning the greenhouse for winter  (Read 2480 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Cleaning the greenhouse for winter
« on: October 30, 2005, 09:31:12 »
Can anyone advise me as to the best way to clean my greenhouse ready for overwintering tender plants?

Now that my tomatoes have finished, i need to get the place sorted and need to find out the best way to do it that doesnt take too much time. I was thinking perhaps to empty it, hose down the glass inside with water then clean it with something - but what?

Any advice and tips appreciated.

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
Re: Cleaning the greenhouse for winter
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2005, 10:48:52 »
depends on if you use the border soil and how dirty the glass is.

if you use the border soil then you want to avid any chemicals. if not most people use jeyes fluid or aa very weak bleach solution.

However if its not very manky then i would hose it, give it a quick scrub and it should be fine.

my GH is still very clean, i think this is due to the watering system that will wash the glass every day nearly. i also give the glass a rinse down every now and again with the jet of the hose. so i think prevention is the best cure!

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2005, 18:45:42 »
Have to say that I am with the Jeye's fluid brigade.  Not only is it good for cleaning pots and canes but I also use it to scrub out the greenhouse.  Cut a yogurt pot up into strips and this is also handy for cleaning between the panes of glass to stop algae growing there.  Then once the glass and frame of the greenhouse are done; I wash down any shelving and then throw what is left over the path to completely clean it down... Leave a few hours to dry, then put up the bubble wrap (much easier when the house  is empty) and then move everything back in.  Clean as a whistle and ready to keep all your babies safe for the winter.
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2005, 21:12:02 »
Yep. I use Jeyes fluid. I don't grow anything in the soil of the greenhouse. I usually spray the Jeyes fluid with a small sprayer. Seems to get in all the nooks and crannies.  Lorna

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2005, 23:43:04 »
I love Jeyes fluid, but it does kill all the goodies as well as the baddies.  I am now a member of the soft broom (or car cleaning hand held brush) and a good strong jet from the hose!  You get soaked, but the greenhouse is all shiny!

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2005, 16:49:48 »
Thanks for replies. In the end i decided to try steam cleaning the GH. I cleared out the greenhouse (all except the flooring, and gave everything a good blast.

On the whole this seems to have done the trick, though for some reason it wouldnt shift the splashed of bordeaux mixture still on the glass from spraying the toms in the summer! For that I gave a quick blast with a pressure washer which i had gotten out to wash the staging and the outside of the GH.

I am hoping this has done the trick and few if any nasties remain lurking.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal