Author Topic: Still edible?  (Read 2179 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Still edible?
« on: November 14, 2005, 12:23:50 »
Spuds that is.  Are spuds that have started to grow again still edible?  I have just cleared a dozen 'volunteers' from the plot and they had all sprouted.  Will they be any good?

timmyc

• Quarter Acre
Re: Still edible?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2005, 14:12:31 »
in the same way that spuds you have in the kitchen sometimes sprout - they ought to be fine - discard any that have gone soft though. It's the warm weather.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2005, 16:02:54 »
Extracts from a MAFF report:
Glycoalkaloids are a group of natural toxicants which are present in potatoes. Concentrations are highest in the sprouts and peel and are greater when the potatoes are damaged. Removal of the sprouting and other damaged areas, together with peeling, substantially reduces their concentration in potatoes.....With regard to the toxicity of glycoalkaloids, the Committee concluded that the risk to the population was low, provided that damaged, green and sprouting areas of potatoes were removed. If potatoes still taste bitter after removal of the green and/or sprouting parts, then they should not be eaten.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2005, 16:13:33 »
OKay, thanks for that.  Roast tatties for tea tonite! ;D

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2005, 17:12:06 »
I hope they're alright, I found 3 volunteer Red Dukes today and I've just bunged 'em in tonights ruby

weedin project

• Acre
  • twig > leaf > flower > fruit > juice > WINE!!!
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2005, 17:48:53 »
I popped a few sprouted International Kidney's in a cleared patch of ground ages ago and one of them has just popped it's little head up. 

I think I'll cloche it over and dig it at Xmas ???. 
"Given that these are probably the most powerful secateurs in the world, and could snip your growing tip clean off, tell me, plant, do you feel lucky?"

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2005, 08:42:36 »
I popped a few sprouted International Kidney's in a cleared patch of ground ages ago and one of them has just popped it's little head up. 

I think I'll cloche it over and dig it at Xmas ???. 

I did just that with one of mine (Royal kidney in my case). Dunno if yesterday's frost has got it though.  I guess I'll find out at the weekend.

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal