Author Topic: Leeks - Bolting!!!  (Read 23264 times)

Nobbyman

• Half Acre
  • The Monkey's Always Right!! (Brissle Here!!)
Leeks - Bolting!!!
« on: November 06, 2005, 11:34:42 »
Hi all!!

Another stupid question I'm afraid!!!  ::)

I have just come back from my lottie this morning, where I found two of my leeks (Musselburgh variety planted out end of June!) have bolted and started to go to seed!!

What do i do?

Harvest these two now or just cut the seed heads off and leave them in!!

And when is the harvest time for Musselburgh leeks?

Nobbs xx  8)  ???

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re: Leeks - Bolting!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2005, 11:54:00 »
I have half a row that has bolted.  They aren't really all that great to use as they get a thick woody flower stem up the middle, but they are okay if you are going to cook them for a long time.  I made leek and tatty soup in the spring form my neighbours bolted leeks.

Don't know when that particular varitety are ready, but I have been digging and using leeks now for 5 weeks.

shifty581

• Quarter Acre
  • Old digger
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2005, 12:27:55 »
I started to eat my leeks about 5 week ago,if thy start to bolt i cut the tops of,  then i will still be digging them up in Feb/march
Tony Shoo (shifty)

undercarriage plan

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2005, 13:34:42 »
Same as Shifty! I just cut off the flower buds and pretend that nothing has happened!! Haven't found any difference in last few seasons.....Denial, it's a wonderful thing!
Lottie  ;D

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2005, 15:34:16 »
Same as EJ, I use them in soup, the flavour is the same, and since they get shredded, the difference in texture is not a problem ...

Derekthefox :D

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2005, 08:25:44 »
I looked at this thread title and the first thing I thought was 'I'll bet they're Musselburgh'. I've grown them with other varieties and the Musselburghs bolt on my thin soil pretty much every autumn while the others are fine. Especially the Verina I now grow on their own.

I've used the flower stems (the tenderest bits) boiled and put in sushi,  used the stringy bits of stem for soup stock and the outer leaves as normal.  Despite bolting, they are still usable in one form or another!

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2005, 09:54:55 »
I agree with EJ if they have bolted it is like chewing sticks ..I usually chop them up and compost them when this happens. Jim
Cheers .. Jim

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2005, 10:34:52 »
I think if you get them quite quickly they are ok to eat, but leave them any length of time and yes, they go woody.
I am growing Oarsman F1 this year, but started late so I'll be eating over Jan/Feb hopefully.

cheddarpaul

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2005, 11:06:17 »
This may be a silly question but what or how do I know if my leeks are bolting? They are one of the few things I have left on the lottie and I dont want to lose them! (dont know what variety they are as they were given to me by a neighbour on the lottie)

Ta

Cheddar, Somerset

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2005, 11:32:39 »
Bolting, in the case of leeks, refers to a central flower spike coming out of the plant. If left you get a largish flower ball at the top.

The spike makes the core of the leek solid and tough, and not like it should be a layer of leaves.

Just like this:

It is caused by changing temperatures or day length or a combination of the two.

Jerry
Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2005, 11:34:43 »
You can see a stem shoot up the middle of the leek Paul, it will then produce a flowerhead. I try and snap these off if I can catch them early.

I have grown mussleburgh in previous years, this coming season I have ordered Giant Winter ...

Derekthefox :D

weedin project

• Acre
  • twig > leaf > flower > fruit > juice > WINE!!!
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2005, 11:50:19 »
I left a few (10) Mussleborough in the ground this year and they all bolted.  Blow me down, but probably because I didn't water them, they failed to flower and now the original stems have mostly died back.  Checking them out this weekend I found that at least one fresh stem (one of them has 3 new stems!) has come up from the base of each of them, developing into leeks that I'll probably pull around Crimbo.

Weird :-\
"Given that these are probably the most powerful secateurs in the world, and could snip your growing tip clean off, tell me, plant, do you feel lucky?"

cheddarpaul

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2005, 16:22:28 »
thanks all - at least I dont have that problem to cope with (yet).

So next silly question - when do I pick these beauties?

Cheddar, Somerset

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2005, 16:32:35 »
I guess... when they look like leeks, unless that is too obvious?!?

Mine still resemble chives, so in my case the answer is not for a while, maybe never! only planted them a few weeks ago though, am a bit late, saw them in a bargain bin at a garden centre and felt sorry for them! Were only £1.50 and got about 40 in the tray.

Nobbyman

• Half Acre
  • The Monkey's Always Right!! (Brissle Here!!)
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2005, 17:26:27 »
Thanx all!!

I have hacked down the offended seed head/stem today and pulled the two leeks for eating!!

Potato and leek soup, hopefully they are not too woody!!

Hope the other 55 don't bolt!!!

Nobbs xx  :P

machman5

• Half Acre
  • South Essex
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2005, 19:42:20 »
 :-\O.k, so you may think I am a bit daft (in fact you won't be too wrong but shh! don't tell anyone!!)
But, how do you make potato and leek soup then?!  - Is it a thick creamy soup or a thin one with bits of potato in?
Donna ???
I smile because I have no idea whats going on!!

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2005, 20:02:17 »
Look at Recipes??

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2005, 20:33:06 »
:-\O.k, so you may think I am a bit daft (in fact you won't be too wrong but shh! don't tell anyone!!)
But, how do you make potato and leek soup then?!  - Is it a thick creamy soup or a thin one with bits of potato in?
Donna ???
Both
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2005, 01:54:56 »
Potato and leek soup recipe, given to me by a friend:
In one large pan - four or five medium potatoes in a little oil with four or five leeks all diced, saute, sometimes I will add some onion. Add 2 pints of water and stock cube, simmer for about twenty minutes. If you already have some bouillon use that. Blend, then add a pint or so of milk and reheat, add salt and pepper to taste.

colleenemp

• Half Acre
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2005, 08:45:10 »
Mmmmmmmm...soup...
Bolting and cutting....big river...North Africa....can relate to that approach ha ha.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal