Author Topic: Dried runner beans  (Read 2751 times)

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
Dried runner beans
« on: October 23, 2005, 15:08:17 »
Do dried runner beans have a common name?

Oh yes - and lot's of recipes please.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Linda

• Not So New ...
Re: Dried runner beans
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2005, 15:27:00 »
hi Redclanger

I don't think they ahve a common name - in that I don't think you'd be able to buy them. I always dry some runner beans - they look lovely in the jar!!

Once in a while, I boil up a load (seperate the white ones from the purple first) and freeze them in 'tin' sized portions so we can use them. My favourite (and bear with me on this!) is 'beanburgers':

mash up a portion of cooked beans (red or purple looks best, but any will do - have been known to wash the sauce of baked beans...)
gently fry a chopped onion and some garlic till golden
stir onion into mashed beans
add seasonings (salt, pepper, chillie powder, parsley) to taste
add enough breadcrumbs so that it all sticks together
form into patties
fry in a little oil until nice and brown on one side, then turn over (carefully) and fry on the other.

Depending on how 'tidy' a cook you are, these can be served up at quite posh dinners - everyone seems to like them and no-one has any idea what they are!! ;D

We like them best either with garlicky mash and greens in winter, or with baked potato and salad.

Love and compost
Linda

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2005, 17:40:27 »
Sounds lovely.  I think I'll have a go at that.  I think I might be tempted to go and nick some beans off an abandoned lotty near me, runner beans not touched.  Seems such a waste.  I've long since eaten all mine
I came, I saw, I composted

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2005, 18:06:48 »
Does sound good - will thaw out a bag of my frozen ones and make that I think.  Don't think I will have the patience to rehydrate my dried ones before trying it.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Linda

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2005, 13:15:09 »
I'm so pleased other people use dried beans from runners - everyone else I've ever mentioned this to thought I was mad! (must be mixing in the wrong circles eh?)

Love and compost
Linda

Looby Loo

• Half Acre
    • Louise Jayne photography
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2005, 18:07:28 »
I've dried my runners.  OH decided he's not too keen on them fresh.  Been using them in soups and stuff.  They're lovely.  Lottie neighbours thought I was a bit mad when I said I was eating the seeds!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal