Author Topic: THE GAMBIA  (Read 1136 times)

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
THE GAMBIA
« on: November 11, 2005, 09:12:54 »
Daughter is off to the Gambia with the school on the 25th to help out there, they take money, clothes stationary etc. (she is at the moment trying to raise money to take, typical kid, left it to the last minute after me nagging for months........arggghhhhhhh  Teenagers!!)
Now someone on here was very involved through a parent? I said I would contact you when she was going, but can't remember who you are..........are you still out there???

Aha found you, New Potter are you there?? ;D
DP
« Last Edit: November 11, 2005, 09:16:21 by Doris_Pinks »
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: THE GAMBIA
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2005, 22:15:06 »
Sounds as though they're trying to do something useful, and they'll certainly get some useful experience. It's reasonably cheap to get to as well, unlike a lot of West African countries. My wife has some relatives there, but the last time she was in the country was in 2000, when her brother died and she had to go to Freetown for the funeral. The airport was closed because the peacekeeping force (so-called) had taken it over, so she had to fly to Banjul, then take an air taxi up the coast. The plane was shaking, smoke was pouring out of the air conditioner, and she said everyone was hanging onto their seats and praying all the way. We had to provide a cow for the funeral, and with Freetown cut off by the rebels, it was more expensive to buy one over there than it would have been here.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal