Author Topic: Storing radishes  (Read 2292 times)

Annadl

• Half Acre
  • Anna from Downunder.
Storing radishes
« on: November 01, 2005, 22:59:15 »
I read that one can store radishes for 8-10 weeks.

Can anyone tell me how to do that.  I left a whole bunch on the sink for 1 day and they wilted :(

Thankyou
Wish I had an allotment.  I love A4A.

Aussie Chick

• Half Acre
Re: Storing radishes
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005, 06:36:38 »
They don't do well stored as you have found out. I have heard they are slightly better in a brown paper bag in the fridge or in a glass of water. The best way is only to pull up what you need. they keep for ages in the ground.

Annadl

• Half Acre
  • Anna from Downunder.
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2005, 07:02:19 »
I thought the got hollow if kept in the ground too long.
Wish I had an allotment.  I love A4A.

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2005, 22:16:06 »
When you say 'radishes' - do you mean the 'winter radish'

I've got half of row of these - black radish I think they're called as they've got black skins but lovely & white inside - and I just pull a few when I fancy some.....they're unbelievably hot!!....nearly blew my head off the first time I tried one of these but they sort of 'grow on you'....nice grated too with other salad items.

I was told you can cook them too like a 'spicy/hot' veg. and I put some in a casserole which had other root veg. in but doing them that way, wasn't to my mind, the best way.....the 'strong flavour' distorted the flavour of the other veg I thought!!....will try cooking some just on their own sometime maybe

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2005, 22:25:24 »
Hmmm...don't know for sure, but 'Old Jack' on our site stores his beetroot in the ground over winter.....he digs them up when he first gets to the plot and leaves them on the surface for an hour or so, then digs a trench, and pus the roots in the trench.  Then he covers them over loosely with soil and leaves them, taking them as he needs them.  They aren't growing because the roots have been severed, the leaves are above ground so he can see where they are, and they are cool.....however, this is through the winter, and you are heading into summer....I guess you would need a shadey cool spot to do this.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2005, 07:11:37 »
You can pickle them.

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2005, 09:39:50 »
I enjoy pickles, can anyone comment on pickled radish?

Derekthefox :D

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2005, 09:56:14 »
My radishes like everyone else's had to be picked and eaten straight away.  Think they are almost impossible to store. The only thing that helped them last a little longer in my experience was putting them and all their foliage in a glass of water, like Aussie Chick has suggested. busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2005, 10:47:03 »
I should have said that, to the best of my knowledge, pickled radish is mainly a commercial creation. But homemade will keep for a few days in the fridge.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal