Author Topic: Adopted by cats - one is injured :'(  (Read 2203 times)

EmmaLou

• Half Acre
    • www.peachpicture.co.uk
Adopted by cats - one is injured :'(
« on: November 01, 2005, 21:56:52 »
Somehow I have ended up with 2 extra mouths to feed! A couple of months ago a tabby cat started hanging around the neighbourhood - it looked very thin and scruffy. OH decided to feed it and it hasn't left! I assumed that it may have been left behind when its owners moved. Who knows? Anyway I reported it found to our local vet just in case anyone had reported it missing - still not had anyone claim it.

We went on holiday for a week and came back to find the tabby had invited a black and white cat to stay! (our next door neighbours had just fed it at the same time as feeding the tabby) Now we have 2 cats and I haven't the heart to stop feeding them.

Both cats had fleas so I got them flea collars. I also decided to put tags on them with the following message : "If this cat belongs to you, please put a note here and I will stop inviting them in for food.", in hope that they were just being greedy and really had homes. No-one has so far left a note.

Problem - the tabby cat got into a fight with our neighbours cat. It now has a cut on its paw that looks infected. Does anyone know if there is anywhere I can take it to be treated? I really can't afford to pay vet fees, but hate to see the cat suffering. :'( :'(

Tulipa

• Hectare
Re: Adopted by cats - one is injured :'(
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005, 00:23:20 »
Have a look on the PDSA website, there may be a practice near you that can help.  Good luck. 

We have one of our cats missing at present, I hope he has found someone like you to take care of him, it will be a real comfort to their owners to know you are looking after their cats for them.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2005, 16:45:49 »
Hi Emma Lou.  It is kind of you to look after these apparent stray cats but if they are not claimed soon then they are certainly going to need some vetinary care.  They need to be neutered (if they haven't been already), wormed regularly, vaccinated against cat 'flu, enteritis and feline aids as well as treated for the fleas (which I very much doubt collars will cure).  Obviously all this comes at a price but the PDSA sould be able to help.  Alternately you might like to contact the charity, Cats Protection.  They are tremendously helpful and may be able to assist with some of the above care needs.  Their website is http://www.cats.org.uk/index.asp

Good luck

G xx
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

agapanthus

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2005, 17:02:39 »
Hi EmmaLou I agree with Geordie, the Cats Protection League are wonderful (most of my cats came from there) and very helpful and they will put you on the right track. If you can't see anyone soon I suggest you take a look at his foot and clean it with salt water. If there is a lump that might be filled with pus try giving it a squeeze. The more you can get out the better. Clean again with salt water and check it every few hours. It might help if you wrap the cat in a towel so that he can't struggle and hopefully stop him scratching you! I've had to do this loads of times with my boys and girls...they don't like it but it does help ;D
Good luck and let us know how he gets on.

agapanthus

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2005, 17:03:28 »
Sorry that should have read Georgie ;D ;D

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2005, 17:05:07 »
I've been called worse!   ;)

G xx
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

agapanthus

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2005, 17:06:03 »
Me too :P

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal