Author Topic: SPRING FORWARD, FALL BACK  (Read 3417 times)

Lily

• Acre
  • When the going gets tough, hide in the allotment.
SPRING FORWARD, FALL BACK
« on: October 29, 2005, 22:28:52 »
Don't forget to put the clocks back.  UK that is.

Can anyone remember how long we have been doing this.  I seem remember a time when we didn't do it, only lasted a year or two, then we went back to normal.  How many countries do this 'clock altering thingy'.

Lily
' A problem shared is a problem halved'

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
Re: SPRING FORWARD, FALL BACK
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2005, 22:53:47 »
Thanks for reminder, just hope my dog will understand and not wake me too early :o.  Lorna

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2005, 10:21:01 »
They experimented a bit in the '70's at some point, we had summer time in winter, and there were so many complaints about kids having to go to school in the dark that they didn't do it again. I can't remember what we did in summer that year.

Derek

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2005, 14:26:12 »
Robert

Those were the days when Children had to be in at certain times...these days anytime will do and children wander the streets at any time of the day or night... time to stop changing the clocks methinks

Derek
Derek... South Leicestershire

I am in my own little world, ...it's OK, ...they know me there!

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2005, 14:38:17 »
That is taking us into another thread on this board Derek. But I have noticed that a lot of daylight time is wasted, particularly in the summer, so I am an advocate of 'double summer time'. I can recall having a summer holiday in Brittany one June, and it didnt get dark until well past 11 ... being a bit further north, I know we would benefit from the daylight well into the summer nights. We would also be in line with Europe, although that is not a factor in my opinion.

I remember going to school during that experiment, it didnt bother me, it was dark in the mornings rather than in the evenings, that is the only thing I can remember ...

Derekthefox :D

Derek

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2005, 14:55:13 »
I really don't mind where they stop the clock so long as the ridiculous changing twice a year for no apparent reason (to me anyway) ceases

I would settle for double summertime...more lazy evenings on the lottie...sounds good to me

Derek

terrace max

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2005, 20:11:50 »
'Spring forward, Fall back' always worked to remind me which way the clocks went at which time of year. However, I then realised you can 'Spring back and Fall forward ' just as easily.

So now I'm really confused. Thought I'd just pass that on...
I travelled to a mystical time zone
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2005, 20:14:36 »
Do other countries have to change their clocks too? me and the OH were talking about this this morning. If we went to France today for example would we have to change the clock by 2 hours and not 1?!?  ???

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2005, 13:36:43 »
Most parts of the US and Canada do it, but not all. I'm not sure about other places.

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2005, 14:07:35 »
Lots of states in Australia do it - Victoria, New South Wales, ACT, South Australia, and Tasmania all do it. Funnily enough it is usually the same weekends as here, but going the opposite way if you know what I mean. Tasmania starts a month earlier than the other states at the beginning of October instead of the end of October.
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

Aussie Chick

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2005, 15:08:07 »
And Queensland Didn't join in, something to do with the cows??

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2005, 15:27:52 »
Hahaha AC, I thought it was just my sister and me who used to laugh about that. Have no idea if it is actually true  ;D
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

joji

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2005, 17:55:42 »
Actually it is Scotland that asked for it to be done as it gets so dark up there in the winter that the poor kids go to and come from school completely in the dark. :o

Aussie Chick

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2005, 21:40:34 »
Hahaha AC, I thought it was just my sister and me who used to laugh about that. Have no idea if it is actually true  ;D

I know we still laugh!!

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2005, 23:14:26 »
I never understood why schools can't just start an hour later in the winter rather than inconveniencing the rest of the sodding country...............or is that too sensible >:(

Derek

• Acre
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2005, 07:37:22 »
Far too sensible MT

Derek

SpeedyMango

• Acre
    • Plot Blog
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2005, 10:40:15 »
I never understood why schools can't just start an hour later in the winter rather than inconveniencing the rest of the sodding country...............or is that too sensible >:(

But that would inconvenience the rest of the country too - because there would be millions of parents who'd also be an hour late for work if their kids started school later!

I wonder whether the road accident statistics went up yesterday evening, when a lot of people had to drive home from work in the dark for the first time in 6 months?

Interesting article on BST's history here: http://www.nmm.ac.uk/server/show/conWebDoc.344.

The main reasons given for the use of summer time are the saving in power given by the longer hours of daylight in the evenings and the increased useful daylight leisure time available to those who work.

Some people advocate that summer time is kept all year round but this is opposed by other groups on the grounds that in the north this would have social disadvantages including, for instance, the problem that in the far north-west of Scotland sunrise would occur at about 10.00 in the middle of winter and over much of the north small children would have to travel to/from school in darkness.

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2005, 10:41:41 »
all the european countries do it too.
there was a comment on a news programme that 'shouldnt britain be in the same time zone as europe, it's better for busienss. at present, we are always an hour late compared to them which is bad for trading etc' hmm, the fact that people go to work at 8am and come home at 4pm and then have lots of time would also play a factor, i think. british work times are really late! i would much porefer to work 8-4 so that i would have a good amount of time in the afternoon and evening to get on with my life. grrrr!
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

Lily

• Acre
  • When the going gets tough, hide in the allotment.
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2005, 10:55:27 »
I think there are more road accidents in the afternoon just after the clocks change.  It's that twilight zone when it is neither dark nor light.

Lily
' A problem shared is a problem halved'

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal