Author Topic: Asparagus salted....eek!  (Read 1777 times)

undercarriage plan

Asparagus salted....eek!
« on: October 29, 2005, 17:53:32 »
Well, I've done it, fingers crossed! But I was too terrified to put actual salt on them....so we went seaweed collecting in the marshes!! Excellent fun, got covered head to foot in river mud, had a rope round middle in case got stuck, and haven't had such a laugh since I was about 12!! Here's hoping I've done the right thing, and have not coverd it in the only seaweed deadly to asparagus!  Sorry pic's so dark, storm's a looming!! Lottie  ;D

chriszog

• Half Acre
Re: Asparagus salted....eek!
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2005, 18:21:23 »

Have you left any gaps around the crowns. If not it is best to as you dont want the seaweed to cause them to rot over winter.
Regards

undercarriage plan

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2005, 19:18:50 »
Oh ******S! Nope, haven't!! Too dark to do now, will pop over tomorrow....sigh! Was so chuffed too! But do you think it is a good yet cunning plan? Was thinking the asparagus would get salt and nutrients. Here's hoping.
Lottie  ;D

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2005, 19:37:29 »
As usual, don't know - but, surely, if the crowns are 5" deep, no form of mulch can harm??

As soon as we cut ours back in a week or two, we shall mulch them - right or wrong!

undercarriage plan

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2005, 20:08:52 »
You think the seaweed is a good idea, Tim? Or should I give my imagination a rest.....
Lottie ;D

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2005, 20:11:48 »
I am sure you asked Tim that when the idea was first mooted.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

dingerbell

• Half Acre
  • A very productive morning
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2005, 20:35:09 »
I understand that Asparagus is one of the few salt tolerant veggies. In fact I believe that wild Asparagus  can be found in salt marshes and sand dunes. Another bonus is the salty seaweed will definately cause those nasty slugs to run in the opposite direction ;D

undercarriage plan

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2005, 20:45:04 »
I thought so too, Redclanger!! All worried now! Was hoping for "yup, that looks fine!" Oh B*****S again! Should I leave it? In need of reassurance, can't afford more crowns!
Lottie :-[

reedos

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2005, 21:17:21 »
Found this on a site about mulches :- "Seaweed also works in the garden for all-around mulching duties and is especially good for vegetable gardens".

So I don't see how you can lose. If nothing else you had fun getting the stuff

undercarriage plan

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2005, 21:24:08 »
LOL! Thanks Reedos! Yes you're right, was great fun! This harps back to thread about salt being good for asparagus, when all was clear!! Now done it!! And am bit on the worried side....But will wait and see...
Lottie

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2005, 22:39:30 »
Coo lottie, hope your asparagus appreciates your day on the marshes. I used to live in Folkestone, and when I'm down there visiting I take sacks for seaweed. I give it away to peeps with asparagus, but hope to plant crowns this year so it will be MINE ALL MINE ;D ;D

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
  • Doh..I got a slug farm,a flea beetle heaven..doh!
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2005, 06:38:25 »
Lottie, don't panic!  My asparagus gets as much sea weed as I can be bothered to collect (30' bed!) and it just gets spread evenly all over so I've been told - stinks after a while but no rot problem and the crowns luv it to bits cos as Tim said they are plenty deep to avoid any rot.

Iain
Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2005, 06:51:29 »
Lottie - as you know, from my Channel Island youth, I just LOVE seaweed!!

undercarriage plan

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2005, 21:54:51 »
 ;D ;D ;D Thanks all!! Feeling happy and chuffed! I so needed to tell kids/OH that it was for a good cause....car's a mess....!!  ::)
Lottie  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal