Author Topic: My Rhubarb has Died!  (Read 9414 times)

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
My Rhubarb has Died!
« on: October 27, 2005, 23:16:15 »
Went up the lottie today and have found that the rhubarb roots that I was given look as if they have died.  :'( :'( :'(

If I have to buy their replacement, could anybody suggest a variety with a really great flavour?

To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

undercarriage plan

Re: My Rhubarb has Died!
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2005, 23:18:02 »
Are you sure they're dead? they'll be dying down at this time of year. If def dead, PM me and I'll send you some of my crowns.
Lottie  ;D

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2005, 23:24:18 »
;D ;D ;D

They do really look dead.  All very crisp!

I'm most upset 'cos I don't usually have failures like this! 

They did take OK, and grew small leaves, but then they got a bit dry before all this rain we've just had!   :(

I'd love a crown if you can spare a bit, I'll keep watching. 
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

undercarriage plan

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2005, 23:26:07 »
Cos you can!! Will send several. Pm with addy and I'll send them when they've died down, no probs.
Lottie ;D

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2005, 00:07:18 »
Rhubarb does die down this time of year as Lottie says.  Our crowns are just brown roots too. This is what happens to us most years, so don't give up hope flowerlady.  I would put some manure around them and you might be surprised next year to see some nice shoots coming through in the Spring. We have done really well with our rhubarb this year. :) busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Aussie Chick

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2005, 08:06:32 »
Mine must have died too. I planted in the spring and haven't cut any off this year. But the stems have all died and now you can't even see where it was planted. I was going to put straw over the place to over winter it and see what emerges, if anything, in the spring. Do you think it will come back?

dirtyfingernails

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2005, 09:16:29 »
I want to divide the rhubarb in my garden to take some to the lottie but I'm scared of digging it up as the last time I did this with a plant the whole lot died - any advice? I've got no idea how old the plant is, probably about 26 years (is that possible?) as the people who had the house before us left the garden alone and just cut the grass!

any advice welcome

thanks

Twospot Ladybird

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2005, 09:22:03 »
Aussie Chick,

I think your Rhubarb should be fine, mine disappears completely from view too. I only know roughly where it is until it starts to re-grow in the spring. If I ever wanted to move it, I would need to mark the place when it was still in growth.

chriszog

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2005, 09:25:34 »
Rhubarb is a tough old plant if possible digit up and split it every 5 years or so. Now is a great time to do it as all the foliage will be dying off. I'll be doing mine this weekend.
re plant it and place some well rotted manure around it but not on top of the crowns as this can cause it to rot.
Good luck
Regards
Chriszog

dirtyfingernails

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2005, 09:29:28 »
thanks! will get out there once the rain stops

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2005, 09:46:44 »
was going to ask this too as I thought I had killed ours on the lottie. It got rotivated when we first got the plot, we tried to rescue it by replanting the crowns - ended up with three but noticed it was looking a bit sickly right now. Phew!  :)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2005, 11:28:47 by daisymay »

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2005, 10:47:26 »
It's best to move rhubarb now if you're going to. I had to move mine last winter, and did it too late, with the result that we didn't get much off it this year. It had been in about five years, and I was amazed by the size of the roots; I was barely able to get them out of the ground without slicing them up in situ.

Mac49

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2005, 00:10:30 »
Hi, I'm in Swansea (South Wales) my Rhubarb hasn't died in 3 years ???
Allways new leaves & stems coming through, any ideas when I can split them
for my neighbours to have a share.
Mac.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2005, 08:38:21 »
Now's the time. Dig them up and cut them apart, just make sure that every part has buds.

the_snail

• Hectare
  • Be Kind to Slugs and Snails! :)
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2005, 08:44:31 »
Rhubarb = Herbaceouse Perenial

Defernision of herbaciouse perenial is a plant that produces a annual stem but has a perenial rootstock. Also does not go through the process of second thickening.

The_Snail
Be kind to slugs and snails!

the_snail

• Hectare
  • Be Kind to Slugs and Snails! :)
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2005, 08:46:08 »
Rhubarb is the only veg you have custard with! How about cabbage n custard!

The_Snail
Be kind to slugs and snails!

weedin project

• Acre
  • twig > leaf > flower > fruit > juice > WINE!!!
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2005, 09:25:04 »
Just to cheer everyone up - mine has died back and looked for all the world as if something had done for it, but now it has already started sprouting again!
For those of you re-planting rhubarb, I keep mine "downstream" (i.e. ever so slighty downhill) from, but very close to, my compost bins.  I think they get a good and regular feed through seepage of nutrients in the soil :D. 
As a matter of interest my raspberries that are also pretty adjacent to the bins were fruiting for about 4 months this year.
"Given that these are probably the most powerful secateurs in the world, and could snip your growing tip clean off, tell me, plant, do you feel lucky?"

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal