Author Topic: B****y Bubblewrap!!  (Read 4726 times)

Aussie Chick

• Half Acre
B****y Bubblewrap!!
« on: October 25, 2005, 19:18:24 »
I am trying to insulate my GH. I have used Electrical tape on the frame to hold the bubble wrap on but it falls off by the next day. I have tried sticking it to the glass now as well. I have restuck it 5 times and every day I go down its on the ground or mauling my plants in there!

Please help, how do you get your BW to stick??

AC

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
Re: B****y Bubblewrap!!
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2005, 19:45:52 »
You usually get a packet of little plastic pegs included with the bubble wrap.  You just shove it through the plastic and into the grooves in the greenhouse frame and twist to hold in place.  As you have already found sticky tape is useless.
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

Aussie Chick

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2005, 19:47:51 »
Oh, thats where the problem is.  :o  I didn't buy the wrap but have been collecting it up from my card business ( they all come wraped, so plenty of spare). I'll have to improvise with the pegs and see what i can make. thanks for telling me.  ;)

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2005, 19:55:28 »
AC Yep same way as Mimi. You can buy the little "pegs" separately., they are a Godsend. Good luck.  I also use bubble wrap sometimes that my son saves for me (from his business). Lorna.

Aussie Chick

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2005, 20:39:11 »
Thanks. And I get my pegs from ...........??? :)

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2005, 20:50:27 »
B+Q  .....Focus...... failing all else..........garden centre... Best of luck.
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

Aussie Chick

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2005, 21:44:35 »
Thanks, I'll go tomorrow.

ruudbarb

• Half Acre
  • Let's get dirty and dig up the spuds..........
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2005, 23:08:55 »
Thanks, I'll go tomorrow.
At this time of year you may find not much that hasn't got a Christmas present potential but I have found my local Homebase has the right sort of plastic pegs that twist into the slot of the aluminium frame.  Beware of some makes of pegs as I inadvertently bought some jokers from a small garden centre that were too big and went into the bin.  If you have a wooden house you can use those plastic headed pins bought from stationers which although they rust like mad, will last the winter.
G'day and good luck.

Aussie Chick

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2005, 23:11:50 »
Thanks Clodhopper and G'day back at ya!

Its an aluminium house, I've have a look at whats around tomorrow.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2005, 23:11:14 »
Being poor...(altogether now.....aaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwww)....I save and recycle all my bubble wrap, and use regular washing line plassy pegs, seperated from the springy bit, and then carefully slide the thinnest end between the glass and the rubber (hears sharp intake of breath from all greenhouse owners).  This holds the bubble wrap in tight to the glass, neat, easy to go in and out again and is as cheap as chips!

Aussie Chick

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2005, 23:19:12 »
Thats a very good idea EJ.

I'll remember that for the future. I bought one bag of clips £2, expenisve I thought but they have done the job! and I used the bubble wrap I had. I havent been down today so my fingers are crossed that its still up in the morning.

myrtle

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2005, 19:28:38 »
Isn't there supposed to be a gap between the glass and the bubbles for better insulation?

ruudbarb

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2005, 20:52:22 »
Isn't there supposed to be a gap between the glass and the bubbles for better insulation?
Yes there should be. Very little or no benefit will be gained from the insulation if it is in contact with the glass because condensation soon makes the sheet stick to it.  The bubbles may help to offset this a little but not much. 

Aussie Chick

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2005, 21:01:35 »
The clips  I have are about 1.5/2 cms long and the wrap goes on the end of it, so there 'should' be air on each pane of glass.

ruudbarb

• Half Acre
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2005, 21:28:42 »
The clips  I have are about 1.5/2 cms long and the wrap goes on the end of it, so there 'should' be air on each pane of glass.
Sounds like they are the boys - the pegs are twisted into the slots in the alumimium glazing bars and the wrap is pierced onto the blunt spike on the end and retained by a small plastic washer.  Ezee Pzee as they say in some parts.

The same system is used for net shading inb the sumer so don't lose the washers.  :'(

Aussie Chick

• Half Acre
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2005, 09:48:06 »
Yep thats the one I've got Clodhopper. Thanks.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2005, 18:26:24 »
There is a gap  between the bubble wrap and glass in my greenhouse as it is impossible to get the plastic tight to the glass.  I know I said  the pegs keep it tight to the glass, what I mean is tight where they are attached, and I only use a couple to just keep it in place.  Tis one of those things, works a treat for me, hardly need use a heater in the winter, keep all my tender plants in there all winter long and they all thrive, and if it ain't broke....don't fix it!  ;D ;D ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal