Author Topic: Did you harvested any Soya Bean?  (Read 2280 times)

Yuet_Lee

• Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
Did you harvested any Soya Bean?
« on: October 24, 2005, 11:58:13 »
Hi there,
How many Soya bean did you harvested? Me only these little bit :'( :'( What can I do with these bit ??? Not even enough to make a glass of soya bean milk ??? ??? I've sowed far more seeds than I harvested  :'(  yuet

« Last Edit: October 24, 2005, 12:07:17 by Yuet_Lee »

the_snail

• Hectare
  • Be Kind to Slugs and Snails! :)
Re: Did you harvested any Soya Bean?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2005, 17:54:30 »
I would dry them out and save them for sowing next year :)
Be kind to slugs and snails!

Yuet_Lee

• Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2005, 11:04:41 »
Is too late. I already blend it to make HALF of glass of soya milk. Surprise me it still very tasty :P It thought it'll have no taste at all being that little amount. ::)

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2005, 12:57:40 »
Hi there,
How many Soya bean did you harvested? Me only these little bit :'( :'( What can I do with these bit ??? Not even enough to make a glass of soya bean milk ??? ??? I've sowed far more seeds than I harvested  :'(  yuet

I only ever once tried growing soya beans, some years ago.  I had exactly the same experience.  The plants looked OK, but the harvest was almost nothing, just a handful of beans.  I guess the climate isn't quite right for them.

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2005, 13:15:59 »
Were they these?

'Bean : Soya Bean : Ustie Ref: TM01400833
A breeding breakthrough! Soya Beans specifically bred to suit the British climate. Plants are day length neutral and grow quicker as hotter weather commences. Flowers are insignificant but 100% self pollinating (no insects required). Soya plants are unusual because the leaves feed the pods, then the leaves fall off when the crop is ready, often leaving just brown stems with lots of hanging pods from late September. The pods remain weatherproof during the autumn, just pick as required. Alternatively shell all the beans and store in airtight containers. Soya is pest and disease free so ideal for organic gardeners. Please note: This variety is 100% GM free. Important: Harvested beans must be boiled before eating (similar to Haricot/Dried Beans) to destroy inhibitors for protein ingestion.'

If so, I won't bother either.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2005, 13:33:53 »
ok I had trouble with germination (see previous threads on the Ustie beans) but once I sorted it out (by chitting on damp kitchen roll) I got 20 nice plants which have grown without much trouble.

Each made it to 15-18" high and grew as many pods as Yuet's total harvest.  Some I picked green and froze for use as eda mame and the rest I let dry. I then baked them for 10 mins to kill any bean weevils (our lotties have a problem with these) and  put them away for the winter.

Next year I shall grow a lot more. I spaced them too generously (a foot) and I'm sure they'd be ok at 5-6".  That increases the number of plants per square whatever and should give me a decent harvest.  This year I simply didn't have enough plants.

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

Yuet_Lee

• Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2005, 18:14:45 »
Yes that where  I got the seed from. T & M Ustie Bean. But it wasn't doing well as what it said on the packet. >:(
How strange I haven't seen any flower before the pod came.  ???

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2005, 18:45:01 »
With what moonbells has said I may still grow them next year and I wouldn't write them off after one year if I were you Yuet.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Yuet_Lee

• Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2005, 22:54:16 »
No I don't. I Plan to grow them in the greenhouse next year. See that can get more crop of it or not >:(
But don't know how to spare some room for them ??? ??? yuet

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal