Author Topic: Any people with allotments in the Christchurch, Dorset area  (Read 3867 times)

Jitterbug

• Hectare
  • Dance as if no one is watching...
    • Leighton Lottie
I went a snooping a couple of week-end ago into our allotment off the Purewell roundabout - nobody about and I was so nervous I walked with my hands behind my back. 

There was not much going on but quite a few interesting plantings / structures dotted around the place.  Would love to hear from anyone who has an allotment on this site.   How to go about finding out if there are open sites, etc...
If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning....

Squire of Ripley

• Not So New ...
Re: Any people with allotments in the Christchurch, Dorset area
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2006, 09:57:15 »
Hiya.
Wish I was there.. lovely corner to find a garden in..
And yes, I was the same when I first wandered on to my local allotments.. very nervous.. feels like walking roundachurch almost.
i would start with your local councils website - http://www.dorsetforyou.com/index.jsp?articleid=323625
Hope youhave fun whenand if youget one.. seems a goodtime to lookfor one cos folks give them up in the new year..or coming up to a spring AGM for the allotments where they may ahve free plots..

Best of luck.. let us know how you get on..

Jitterbug

• Hectare
    • Leighton Lottie
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2006, 08:04:27 »
Thanks for all the advice.  I got hold of the council and was told that there is a long list but that they would put my name on THE LIST.  So you can imagine my surprise on Saturday when I got a call from a lovely lady who asked for my address as I had suddenly started moving up THE LIST.  So keep your fingers crossed for me - I may still be young enough to work my allottment by the time I get it.   ;)
If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning....

Squire of Ripley

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2006, 09:53:32 »
Hi Jitter.. fingers well and truly crossed.. I was very surprised to find I was number two or so on the list and after enquiring in autumn got my plot this last week or so.. like you say dream of being young and fit enough to still dig the plot when you get there.. let us know..xx

Jitterbug

• Hectare
    • Leighton Lottie
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2006, 10:13:17 »
Hello there Squire ;)

Congraultions !  Boy I hope that your new allotments was well kept up otherwise you have your work cut out for you. Does it have a shed / greenhouse / water butt on it - or is that asking too much.

I found a lovely site via this board.  The address is www.keirg.freeserve.co.uk - go and have a look around there some wonderful hints and tips.  Can't do anything about choosing the site (beggars can't be choosers!) but I am sure that you will find some good advice on this site.  I  know that I have bookmarked it for later use.

Good luck and happy digging.

Squire of Ripley

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2006, 10:26:41 »
Hi Jitter.. It has been derilict for a good year maybe 2.. but he soil under the sparse grass is in very good nick..
It has a rickety old shed that euuugh we had to empty.. ohh the old stuff in there.. it needs straightening and making water proof..
I have found some good rotten muck on htere too.. as wellalready setting up my composting and manure pen.
There is a tap just next to the next plot for summer.
Its 25ft by 90ft.. 2250 sq ft. so no idea if its a big one..
We are having the bath done soon so I will be able to put my old bath on there to gather good rain .. as well a few extra butts I have.

So now for a fire to get rid all the mank and then digging begins..

xx

grotbag

• Hectare
  • granddaughter(miya) in Christchurch,Dorset
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2006, 19:30:21 »
Hi Jitterbug,I have an allotment in Christchurch( on Somerford) have lived here all my life but never knew any lotties in purewell .Where mine is there are only 9 of us. If you are after lottie I should youre best bet is to try Roeshot Hill.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal