Author Topic: making compost  (Read 1668 times)

gardening giraffe

• Quarter Acre
  • Don't you just love eating veggies!
making compost
« on: October 20, 2005, 09:56:37 »
Can someone please tell me the best way to make my own compost as I would love to have a go at it, don't really like the thought of shovelling manure into plot but still want goodness to put back in the soil  ;D
Lisa xx

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
Re: making compost
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2005, 10:33:08 »
Get a compost bin or two (council usually run schemes - discount prices etc..).

Put in all your garden waste - deadheaded flowers, prunings (chopped up if woody), annual weeds (not stuff like bindweed), grass clippings

Kitchen waste - all raw veg waste, teabags, shredded paper

need to turn it as you fill the bin up, then keep turning it every now and then takes 1yr + to rot down, but worth the wait!

Do a search on compost as this comes up quite a bit

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re: making compost
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2005, 23:03:30 »
Everyone has their own 'secret recipes' and methods of making compost.  At this time of year, you could make wonderful leaf mould just be gathering up fallen leaves into sacks, making them good and wet, make a few holes in the bags, then tie them up and leave them in a corner, and this time next year....leaf mould.  Everything goes on my compost heap at this time of year, weeds, grasscuttings, kitchen waste, shredded papers, teabags, veggie peelings, hair, old plants and bedding...everything! I don't turn my allotment heaps as they are huge and I just don't have the time, but within 6 or so months, I have wonderful sweet smelling compost!  Anything a bit chunky just gets chucked on the bottom to start the pile of again!  ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal