Author Topic: new bed  (Read 2061 times)

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
new bed
« on: October 20, 2005, 15:32:37 »
Hi everyone

We are having two concrete paths dug up in the garden to widen our flowerbed. They are about 8 - 10 inches deep once all the hardcore has been dug out.

So - what do we do now?

Anyone recommend how to best go about filling these back up so they are ready for planting in time for spring.

Have no idea how or when to buy soil in this kind of quantity (our garden is 80ft, so is quite a bit of space to fill!) should I get some manure/ fertilizer too?!

thanks
« Last Edit: October 20, 2005, 15:35:36 by daisymay »

wardy

• Hectare
Re: new bed
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2005, 16:22:10 »
Georgie's got some soil going spare so maybe if she lives near you ......

I came, I saw, I composted

EmmaLou

• Half Acre
    • www.peachpicture.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2005, 22:31:19 »
Need to get some topsoil in! Found a website that has quite a good calculator to work out how much you need: http://www.topsoil.co.uk/how_much.asp

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2005, 09:12:03 »
Excellent site Emma, thanks a lot  ;D ;D

Need a bit more than Georgie has to offer I think, but thanks for the pointer, I had not seen that thread.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2005, 10:10:10 »
You'll have to get some delivered.  Local garden centres etc usually have the contacts
I came, I saw, I composted

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2005, 13:59:07 »
B*gger - it gets worse.

Just got a call from the friend who is digging up the concrete for us. They have found a block underneath one part of the path 2ft + deep, unfortunately it is not in a place we could put a pond before someone suggests it!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2005, 14:07:20 »
Before you even try to dig something like that out, you need to plan how you're going to dispose of it. Believe me, I know from experience, I had concrete boulders just sitting around for a couple of years at one point.

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2005, 14:22:14 »
skip arrived this morning Robert. It is already nearly full apparently, so second one arriving in the morning.

We only mentioned it to the guy that we may want him to have a go at the path at some point over winter - he turned up the next morning with a sledge hammer! all moving a bit quick for me to be honest.

Diana

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2005, 14:45:09 »
B*gger - it gets worse.

Just got a call from the friend who is digging up the concrete for us. They have found a block underneath one part of the path 2ft + deep, unfortunately it is not in a place we could put a pond before someone suggests it!

Fire pit?
Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2005, 20:11:27 »
LOL - I am not allowed a pond because they are too dangerous (v. over protective sister with 15 month old baby!) I would never see my neice again if I built a fire pit  ;D

Found another solid block on Saturday, seems from what the neighbours told us they are the foundations of an old washing line. They must have been drying suits of armour in hurricanes to warrant this much support!!

Had a great weekend digging up rubble and taking a sledge hammer to the old shed. Have filled skip no. 2 now! A couple of friends came round and managed to get out the big blocks and smash them up.  :) :)

EmmaLou

• Half Acre
    • www.peachpicture.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2005, 20:41:55 »
You could always build a rockery with all the concrete you are finding! lol

Hope your allotment isn't getting neglected!  ;)

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2005, 21:01:56 »
looks in your local advertiser type paper. most will drop a ton of topsoil, which is roughly 1m3 for about £25

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2005, 08:58:46 »
rockery is tempting.

Yes - the lottie is looking quite neglected at the moment- not enough hours in the day!

Good idea Adam - I thought it would be more expensive than that for soil.

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2005, 13:50:51 »
no, its reasonably cheap.

dont get stuff that seems too cheap, chances are that is got stones and allsorts in, but before they tip it that its good stuff, no stones or twigs in it etc

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal