Author Topic: Autumn Sown Sweet peas  (Read 1827 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Autumn Sown Sweet peas
« on: October 14, 2005, 17:51:26 »
Thinking of doing this this year (soon). Have tried them sown in pots before now but werent very sucessull. have read that direct sown seed make stronger plants to overwinter. I am in need of some tips and advice as to how best to do this.

Thanks.

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
Re: Autumn Sown Sweet peas
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2005, 19:09:59 »
Thinking of doing this this year (soon). Have tried them sown in pots before now but werent very sucessull. have read that direct sown seed make stronger plants to overwinter. I am in need of some tips and advice as to how best to do this.

Thanks.

I sowed 4 different varieties in root trainers last November in a cold frame. They turned out the best I have ever grown. Seed from Kings.

Jerry
Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2005, 17:00:32 »
The problem i have found with autumn sown sweet peas in pots, is that they are never ready to plant out before winter, so they have to be overwintered in the pots, with the dangers of getting too leggy or rotting off. I have often ended up with poor quality plants which dont come into flower much earlier than spring sown ones.

This makes me all the more willing to try direct sowing (of course there is risks here too but the plants should be tougher and stronger in the end).

The question is 'to soak or not to soak' I am thinking it isnt nessesary outdoors but would it improve germination speed/sucess if i did?

thomasb

• Half Acre
  • Allotment in Cowley, Oxford
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2005, 19:22:34 »
I sowed sweet-peas in root-trainer last week and did that soak them. By today they are out in a cold frame with about 100% germination.

I would say that the question is not whether to them in pots etc, but where to store them over winter.  The aim is not to have them a certain size to plant out before winter, but a certain size before winter for them to be semi-dormant. They will them thrive when planted out in the spring. I did it this method this past year with very good success.  If you are to plant them directly into the soil I would certainly wait until spring.
Thomas

Val

• Hectare
  • I hate those mieces to pieces
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2005, 15:55:30 »
Is it too late to get going with mine now? They will overwinter in a cold frame outside.,
"I always wanted to be somebody…but I should have been more specific."

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2005, 17:10:34 »
I took the plunge today. With the soil nice and moist (and rain due) I direct sowed some (unsoaked) seed next to a wigwam i had already set up for them. A quick water to setle them in and job done! Now heres hoping they germinate  :-\ .

I am hopefull of good results since i live in a mild area.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal