Author Topic: how late can I sow runner beans  (Read 13643 times)

adrianhumph

• Acre
  • Camberley, Surrey.
how late can I sow runner beans
« on: October 18, 2005, 14:14:56 »
 Hi all,  :D
              I have in the past sown my runner`s at the usuual time (middle/end of May). This of course means that they are cropping from mid August, now I do not want runner`s then as I do not count them as a summer veg. I want to be picking them now. So, how late can I sow them & still get a good crop ??? I noticed E J said on another thread that she sowed some late, how late please E J.

Adrian.

robkb

• Hectare
  • SE London
Re: how late can I sow runner beans
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2005, 14:19:00 »
Hi Adrian,

I sowed some in the 3rd week of July in big pots at home, these were still cropping until last week. The yield was slightly reduced, but I think that's because they were in pots, not in the ground. Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Rob ;)
"Only when the last tree has been cut down, and the last river has been poisoned, and the last fish has been caught, will we realise that we cannot eat money." - Cree Indian proverb.

daveandtara

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2005, 18:02:43 »
i know its not quite the same as runners, but i planted some french beans a short while back and have picked the first crop today. mind you, it does seem to be an unusually warm october!

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2005, 18:20:20 »
Middle of August Adrian, in a slightly shaded patch hoping that the cool ground would help them germinate, and they did and romped away!  I am by no means picking carrier bag fulls, but then I only have 1 wigwams worth as they were really only half experiment and half using up a few leftover seeds.  I picked a good 50 beans at the weekend, enough for our Sunday roast pork, enough for the fridge for use in the week, and enough for the freezer!  Will be on the plot again tomorrow so hopefully there will be some more!  I don't think the coldness is such a problem, I think lack of pollinators is more the problem at this time of year.

undercarriage plan

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2005, 18:35:44 »
Same as EJ, August and still picking!! Kids have taped freezer shut...think they trying to tell me something.. ::) Lottie  ;D

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2005, 18:37:52 »
Pollinators? So grow Hunter - self-fertile??
« Last Edit: October 18, 2005, 18:45:08 by tim »

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2005, 18:47:29 »
We planted a dozen in early August.  At first I thought they wouldn't amount to anything, since they didn't set.  But from end of September onwards we've been getting worthwhile amounts of very tasty and tender beans, and although each week I think it'll be the last, there are still a few coming.

It's interesting though that a noticeable proportion of beans either shrivel before they mature, or go overripe and tough without gaining length.  I guess that shows how marginal such a late planting is, and in less favourable weather we wouldn't have got anything much.

I also tried a few broad beans as a late experiment at the same time, but they didn't produce a worthwhile crop at all, and have been discarded.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2005, 23:08:35 »
It's still warm up in Derbyshire and speaking of pollinators we still have a lively thriving wasps nest which I thought would have been out of use by now.  Still dodging the wasps and treading very carefully  :o
I came, I saw, I composted

terrace max

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2005, 10:09:33 »
Our early August sown runners are almost done. It's been very nice to have them fresh for so long. I'm trying Hestia next year which is a dwarf one you can grow in a pot apparently. Makes it easier to move out of the way of those early frosts...

Take Tim's point about pollinators though and have added Hunter to the wish list...
I travelled to a mystical time zone
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

terrace max

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2005, 10:15:13 »
Just remembered - apparently you can overwinter your runners by cutting them to just above ground level and mulching them well with straw or suchlike. Super-early crop next year apparently...can you detect my scepticism...?
I travelled to a mystical time zone
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

timmyc

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2005, 15:05:34 »
i9 planted mine out in June - 2 wigwams at the same time, next door to each other - one started producing in August and I picked the last one last week, the other started in mid september (whilst I was on holiday!!) and is still going reasonably strong.

I was also given some more which  I planted out in July which to be honest I threw into some rapidly cleared ground - only for it to be taken over by couch grass (ouch!) however they are growing amongst the grass and are just starting to take off.

undercarriage plan

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2005, 15:11:09 »
TM, not so sceptical here!! I forgot one plant last season, thought I'd pulled it, but must have left roots in.  This season, up it popped again, happy as Larry amongst the pots!! Lovely runners, though not that much earlier. May experiment again with couple of plants and see, will don white lab coat and specs....Lottie  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal