Author Topic: Monty's Pumpkins  (Read 2132 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Monty's Pumpkins
« on: October 18, 2005, 12:17:47 »
Did any of you see Gardeners World and Monty showing off his pumpkins?  He wasn't happy as he didn't feel he gat enough fruit per vine.  Hmm, I think he should count himself lucky, just goes to show how many fruits you can get when watering isn't an issue.  For me on my plot, I hope for between 4 and 5 fruits per vine, and on some, I only got one!

I do agree that crown prince is a great squash and I love the colour, but this year I grew Queensland Blue sent to me by Moggle and I think they are more attractive!

So, how many fruits per vine do you reakon on?

BAGGY

• Hectare
Re: Monty's Pumpkins
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2005, 12:25:18 »
I got 2 - 3 on the harlequin thingy (still not sure what it was) and the pink banana we grew.  I didn't think that was bad at all.  I never watered them, never fed them,and never knew what they were until right at the last minute.  Still dont with the harlequin and the orange thing.  Next year I want to grow one plant of loads of different stuff and CLEARLY LABEL THEM !  We live in hope.
Get with the beat Baggy

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2005, 13:33:43 »
i didnt water any of the squashes, and got two per vine. maybe i should have stopped the vines earlier, i had plenty of baby fruit but most didnt make it - i think because there wasnt enough 'juice' to go around. the vines kept going and going though - so perhaps a matter of expending energy on leaf growth when it might have been better in the fruit.

the baby bear was a big disappointment with only one very small fruit for the plant. together with the huge germaniation problems i had with this variety, i wont bother again...
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2005, 14:00:40 »
the most prolific of mine was Crown Prince but I still think I only got two per plant.  Only got one Harlequin(beauty though), two Marinas (one big and one little), Sweet Mama's were two per plant, orange stripey ones = 2 and Blue Hubbards one per plant.  So mine not prolific but I didn't do anything with them in the way of stopping or taking fruits off so maybe low numbers was my own fault. They were planted in manure and fed and watered but only when it was dry.  I still ended up with loads of pumpkins/squashes so was generally well chuffed as I've never grown them before. Uckiki Kuri was a washout - only the plants I gave to my lotty mate grew to fruition but he won't let me have one the greedy pig as he's says they're too good to give away.  They were my plants the cheeky beggar  ;D
I came, I saw, I composted

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2005, 12:57:58 »
EJ Glad to hear the Queensland Blue did well :-) Hope the eating is good - it should be  ;D
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2005, 13:08:32 »
Moggle my 2 Queensland blues are so big, we are waiting to invite the neighbourhood to Sunday lunch before we try em! ;D

EJ my fruits per vine were poor this year, I put it down to lack of water and me not pinching out the vines as much as last year!
My butternuts did the best, and the cobnuts looking good too, haven't harvested them yet so unsure as to how many hiding there!
Turks turban, 1, Chioggia 1, Rouge vif d'etamps 3, Pepita 1 , Nice de long 3 and a few others whose names escape me 1 per vine. Bit of a dissapointing year this year, but mine did go in very late due to bad germination in the spring. :(  Better luck next year! ;)
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal