Author Topic: Autumn leaves  (Read 5461 times)

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
Autumn leaves
« on: October 17, 2005, 22:59:35 »
Today i did my first day as a greenskeeper and today was leaf clearing day, infact every day at this time of the year is leaf clearing day.

Anyhow, i thought i would give you some tips on the things that people do that they shouldnt.

Firstly, lots of people say use your lawnmower to pick up leaves, this can jam lawnmowers and also damage the blades, especially of cylinder mowers.

Secondly, dont leave leaves on your lawn more than a day. if left for more than a day they begin to kill the grass.

Lastly, you dont need fancy containers for leaf mould. just make a big pile in a sheltered and reasonably dark place and it will rot down fine.

spacehopper

• Hectare
  • Its a jungle out there...
Re: Autumn leaves
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2005, 09:24:46 »
Congratulations on your new job Adam. Are you enjoying it? Thanks for the tip.
Make the most of today, because you'll never have it back again.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2005, 12:23:33 »
Beg to differ on the lawn mower issue.  When speed is of the essence, as you will find out one day when you have children running around your feet, a lawn mower does a stirling job.  I have done it everyyear, with the same mower, and it is still gowing strong.  Also, the leaves get mixed up with some grass cuttings which warm up nicely and help the breaking down process along.  I tip them into double thickness black sacks, pierce with holes, tip a bucket of water over them, tie them up and stack them up in a hidden corner.  One year later the lot is ready to use.

jaggythistle

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2005, 00:03:43 »

Well the shelter should be Wardy proof...!!!  ::) ::) ;D ;D I think she's
  gonna slap me....!!!!

Not only know of it being used for leaves (lawnmower that is ) know some
  that shred the stuff to go into compost heap in the same manner.

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2005, 16:40:50 »
he he. try shifting 95 acres of leaves that soon makes you see Autumn differently.

i do shift leaves with the lawnmower but the only problem i have is that thye fill the box too quickly. so i found a little trick. dont have a compost bin or anything so pick them up.

so pick them up with the mower, then keep the mower running and lift the little fflap on the mower box at the top near the road, it blows all the leaves out the box, leaves the grass and then the council pick the leaves up for you!

colleenemp

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2005, 08:00:43 »
Make leaf mould....see the posts on that, lovely pictures too ;D

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2005, 09:31:43 »
Remember though, that leaf mould is good for conditioning soil, but is lacking in nutrients, so don't mix it with your compost ...

Derekthefox :D

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2005, 22:04:41 »
... but it's great for mulching cabbages, I think it was Tim who passed on that tip but NOT TOO THICK :o

dotCompost

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2005, 10:32:18 »
Beg to differ on the lawn mower issue.  When speed is of the essence, as you will find out one day when you have children running around your feet, a lawn mower does a stirling job.  I have done it every year, with the same mower, and it is still going strong.  Also, the leaves get mixed up with some grass cuttings which warm up nicely and help the breaking down process along.
Yep. You're right Emma Jane. I do the same. Have done for years like you. Works a treat  :)

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2005, 15:04:53 »
What a good idea supersprout. I wonder, can it also be used to chop the cabbage for dinner ... and the carrots come to that ...  ;D

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2005, 08:49:12 »
I suspect one of my neighbours has never seen sunflowers or jerusalem artichokes. I mentioned that I was trying to borrow a shredder for the stalks and he suggested using a lawn mower to shred them!

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2005, 10:05:28 »
I have the same problem disposing of up to 100 sweetcorn stems ...

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2005, 09:52:07 »
...problem disposing of up to 100 sweetcorn stems ...

Yes, sweetcorn stems are hard to get rid of - they always seem to end up on the bonfire here. There must be some good use for them, but I've yet to find it.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2005, 10:19:04 »
I just chuck them in the compost. If it's not entirely rotted down next spring I don't worry; I put it on my potatoes, add a layer of dead leaves or grass cuttings, and it soon rots.

dotCompost

• Half Acre
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2005, 13:37:38 »
If it's not entirely rotted down next spring I don't worry
yeah, some things are a bit slower - like many of us - it just takes a couple of seasons to rot down, rather than a couple of months  ;)

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2005, 18:12:12 »
Hmm I might try that next year then, it seems pitiful to have to burn what must be valuable material ...

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2005, 16:51:24 »
Sweetcorn stems can be made into overwintering ladybird houses D, off you go ... ;D

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2005, 17:00:24 »
would that be log cabin style ...

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal