Author Topic: Pomegrante  (Read 2035 times)

Viks

• Quarter Acre
Pomegrante
« on: October 17, 2005, 12:47:05 »
On saturday our local market have pomegrantes on special offer 4 for 40p which seemed like a bargain, having never tried them before I bought some.
Hmmm all those seeds make them really hard going.
I was thinking of trying to make pomegrante vodka with vodka, lemon zest a bit of sugar and frozen pomegrante seeds. I thought the juice might transfer more easily if I froze them a bit like sloe gin. (we always freeze our sloes first). Does this sound drinkable?

Any tips on anything else I could do with pomegrantes please let me know!!

Lesson for the future - don't get tempted by special offers.

Viks

weedin project

• Acre
  • twig > leaf > flower > fruit > juice > WINE!!!
Re: Pomegrante
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2005, 12:50:56 »
Viks

If you've got freezer storage space, buy them in bulk and juice them.
There is a theory abroad that regular modest consumption of pomegranate juice is beneficial by way of helping clear the plaque (furring) out of arteries, that would otherwise lead to constricted arteries and heart attacks.  :-\

It tastes nice too. :)
"Given that these are probably the most powerful secateurs in the world, and could snip your growing tip clean off, tell me, plant, do you feel lucky?"

Angi

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2005, 11:24:56 »
If you don't have a juicer, you can just scrape out the insides into a sieve then squish the juice through. It will keep for a year in the freezer, and you can add it to fruit salads or juice drinks. I think it is high in antioxidants

agapanthus

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2005, 17:32:00 »
Well I think anything with vodka would be gorgeous!!!! 8)

Travman

• Half Acre
  • Castleford, West Yorkshire anybody near me
    • castown fc
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2005, 21:35:47 »
POMEGRANATE WINE
10-15 ripe pomegranates
1/2 lb. barley
3 lb. granulated sugar
1 lemon, juiced
1 gallon water
wine yeast and nutrient
Peel the fruit and remove the seed-juice sacs from the bitter white membrane dividers. Ten fruit are sufficient if 5-6 inches in diameter, 15 are required for 3-4 inch diameters. Meanwhile, bring the water to boil with the barley in it. Simmer for about 5 minutes, then strain onto the pomegranate seeds, sugar, and lemon juice in the primary fermentation vessel. Stir well. When cool (70-75 degrees F.), add the activated yeast and nutrient. Cover and allow to ferment vigorously five days, then strain into secondary fermentation jar and fit with fermentation trap. When wine clears, rack and bottle. May taste in six months, but improves at one year. [Adapted from C.J.J. Berry's First Steps in Winemaking]

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal