Author Topic: Propagating Fuschias  (Read 2245 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Propagating Fuschias
« on: October 08, 2005, 18:55:35 »
Does any one know if it is possible to propagate fuschias by hardwood cuttings (like many other shrubs this time of year).

I have a hardy fuschia in my garden (F. 'Genii') I have to move soon and wish to propagate it as an insurance policy. Of course i have (apparently) missed the boat with traditional softwood and semiripe cuttings (i tried some semiripe of this plant which have failed to strike).

Could i try hardwoods instead, just like roses or dogwoods or wont it work for fuschias?

Any advice appreciated

Gardengirl

• Hectare
Re: Propagating Fuschias
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2005, 21:53:03 »
I have looked in my fuschia book Richard and it gives directions on taking Autumn cuttings as follows:-

This type of cutting is torn carefully from the plant so as to leave a "heel" at the base of the stem.  The cutting should be approximately 3 to 6 in (7.5 to 15 cm) in length and the lowest one or two pairs of leaves should be removed before insertion.  Hormone rooting powders are helpful with this type of cutting but rooting might still be slow and if taken rather late in the season, the leaves will probably fall and the cutting may not fully establish until the following spring.

Hope this helps.

Pat
Happy gardening all...........Pat

Rosa_Mundi

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2005, 00:25:37 »
Give it a try, GC: my mother has had success with this method. She simply snaps off twigs and places them around the edge of a pot. The pot is them left outdoors in a sheltered position; her garden is warm, rarely getting below zero.
Have a try with soft cuttings now, too; probably best if only two or three pairs of leaves long and rooted in water; that way, you have a chance of catching them if they start to fail, trimming the bad bit and trying again.
As a matter of interest, I have successfully grown hardy fuc*hsias from pieces of root. It wasn't my plan, but the plant had other ideas when I "removed" it  ;D

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2005, 00:33:28 »
Hi Richard , i have this week taken some hard wood cuttings, i just cut pieces off dip them and put in a pot till spring keep away from frost though.  I would suggest you take quite a few so that you stand a good chance of success, the ones i took about 3wks ago seem healthy enough, so go for it  Richard. Good luck with them let me know in the spring of your success.  Rosebud. ;D

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2005, 10:55:06 »
'Morning All!

Thanks for replies. Some good tip sand advice there. I have a feeling i will be trying more than one method as an experiment to see which works the best. I will probably end up with either none or more fuschias than  know what to do with! lol

I have a feeling my mum grew some 'magellanica' (sp?) types from hardwood cuttings some years ago. The plants produces are still thriving in her garden now so it is possible.  Anyway, anything is worth a go.

Thanks again.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2005, 19:19:01 »
Have now had a go at some of the methods recomended.

I have done some semi ripes, hardwood heel cuttings and some in water, plus a few semiripe heelcuttings as well dfor good measure.

Fingers firmly crossed  :-\

Thanks to all for the tips

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2005, 09:40:43 »
Good luck Richard.  Let us know which is the best method :)
Happy gardening all...........Pat

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2005, 17:21:02 »
Good luck Richard.  Let us know which is the best method :)

Will Do Pat  :) ;)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal