Author Topic: rhubarb from seed  (Read 2337 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
rhubarb from seed
« on: October 15, 2003, 13:12:50 »
Well, in a bid to save the pennies, I am thinking of growing rhubarb from seed.  In theory, if it works, I should get about 25 plants for a couple of quid!  Has anyone else had experience of growing bubby from seed?  Anything I should know?  I do understand that I won't be picking any for a year or two, but ever penny counts at the mo.  :-/
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 by 1077926400 »

merv

• Half Acre
  • Umm, just a pinch of.....
Re: rhubarb from seed
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2003, 18:30:30 »
HI emma.

Oh my,

There must be squillions of plot holders with crowns ready for dividing in March.  You must be able to get some, if not on your plot at least somewhere in your area. Get in touch with your local Allotment Federation and they will be pleased to help; or even your Regional Group will get some for you.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2003, 21:43:41 »
I have spread the word on our site, but only a couple of chaps grow bubby - and they only have a couple of crowns.  Tut   :'(.  Our lottie isn't a council jobbie so I don't know about the lottie federation thingy, and I'm afraid I don't know any other lottie holders in sunny Chelmsford to see if I could beg some.  :-/

Hugh_Jones

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2003, 01:34:44 »
I grew rhubarb from seed  42 years ago (according to my diary) - Glaskins Perpetual, and Pink Champagne. I kept two plants of each and gave the rest away.  I didn`t pick from them for 3 years, but after 5 years I forced alternate plants from each variety (under upturned dustbins lines with pipe lagging). Of the two we much preferred the flavour of the Pink Champagne. Unfortunately ageing digestions can not always cope with rhubarb (even forced) so I haven`t bothered to split them up for years, and they`re slowly fading away.

The best food for rhubarb is wool shoddy, and an old flock mattress will provide plenty (try a second hand or junk shop), dig it in at about a barrowload to 4 sq. yds with a pound of bonemeal. Plant out your seedlings so that you can eventually thin them out to about 3ft each way and don`t pick for at least 2 years.  Cover the crowns with either leaves or leaf mould each winter and give a spring top dressing of hoof & horn meal.  Once you have started pulling them, give a mulch of manure as soon as pulling ceases.

The plants will be past their best after 10 years, so after 4 or 5 years lift a plant or two every year and divide it - keep and replant the near-surface roots with an "eye" in, but throw away all the monsters from lower down.

Best of luck, and come back if you need any more.

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2003, 18:35:53 »
:)Hi Emma Jane - just been reading this thread.....noticed you mentioned sunny Chelmsford...where I presume you have your lottie....I come from there - it's my home town (yes an Essex girl - no comments please - they're wrong what they say anyway!) altho I've lived in the  Reading area for many years.....my parents are still there & I go home there every few weeks to see them. When I was a young girl - many moons ago- my family had two huge allotments off Swiss Avenue but that site was built on some years ago now - I wonder whereabouts you are?

I want to grow rhubarb on my recently acquired lottie but am impatient - so will probably try to obtain a crown - as suggested will ask around maybe on my site -years ago I can remember buying some bags of mushroom compost and surprise, surprise - there were two lovely crowns inside one!

Still exploring this lovely group and being amazed at all  the different subjects/topics.....thank you...H.P.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal