Author Topic: Floods  (Read 1827 times)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Floods
« on: October 14, 2005, 23:33:04 »
You've probably heard we had another tornado in Birmingham a couple of days ago. My plot was only slightly flooded; another year of raising the level of the lowest bits and it shouldn't happen again. A neighbour who's been using his plot to grow show veg with a lot of success since he retired was completely flooded out.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Floods
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2005, 13:22:32 »
I spent ages working on my flood defences, reinforcing the streambank with aluminium sheets, and raising the height. That keeps 90% of it out, and I've been raising the lowest areas as well, by redistributing all the soil from teh turf I dug out in my firstcouple of years. What was a massive problem is now very minor, and I can't really complain at a bit of flooding when people 3 or 4 miles away have had their roofs ripped off by a tornado. It's my neighbour I feel sorry for; his garden is on a lower level to the others for some reason, and floods after very heavy rain. It doesn't happen anything like as much as it used to, and this time of year it won't have done too much harm, but it must be discouraging when he's put so much into it.

spacehopper

• Hectare
  • Its a jungle out there...
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2005, 19:37:41 »
Looks like you escaped the worst of it, thank goodness.
Make the most of today, because you'll never have it back again.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2005, 00:28:47 »
I have, after a load of hard work. I used to get it worse than anyone. I had a chat with the guy who was badly flooded today; he's furious because he's already been on to the committee some time ago about the root of the problems he has; water pools on the playing fields above the site, then rushes down onto his. It does too, I've  seen it a few years ago. Nothing's been done. What it wants is a few loads of topsoil and a working party to spread it along the base of the hedge by the car park.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal