Author Topic: "runner borlotti"  (Read 3109 times)

blight

• Half Acre
"runner borlotti"
« on: October 11, 2005, 17:30:49 »
has anyone had experience in treating runner beans the same way as the french/borlotti types? that is letting the beans grow semiripe in the pods and eating them like flageolets?
I have just tried it with a few of my very poor crop of runners and I thought the flavour was sensational. but the pods were much more difficult to shell than the borlotti-variety.
surely I could have waited a little longer, but then the beans might have grown a thick skin, just like an old broad bean.
any ideas, which runner-varieties might be best suited for this method?

blight

• Half Acre
Re: "runner borlotti"
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2005, 18:01:43 »
and you managed to open the pods allright?
just as easy as the french beans?

blight

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2005, 18:04:47 »
well, thanks.
quick one, that.
bye

raisedbedted

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2005, 12:50:41 »
Like a lot of other people I'm going to give Borlotti beans a go next year - theyr'e very 'of the moment' and seem to have been in all the magazines.

I guess they will be next years 'Butternut Squash'.
Best laid plans and all that

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2005, 13:18:16 »
Wardy my ancient italian plot neighbours have been causing sucking-in of teeth and tut-tutting with their borlotti harvest (all they do is let them go over, tsk tsk).
My borlottis were late in and flowering when theirs were already hung up to dry! Forget this planting by the Moon, I am going to plant by the Neighbours ;D

blight

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2005, 14:10:48 »
I usually pick them semiripe. they only need a few minutes cooking. or blanch and freeze. they freeze very well. You can treat other French climbing varieties the same way. just as good but not quite so trendy.
To harvest them in their dry state, I don´t think I would go to the trouble of growing them. Around here, they are so cheap to buy.
But  flageolets, (semi-dried) - you very rarely see those in the markets.
But you wait- the next big fad will be runner beans as flageolets. Much better still,
judging by the few I´ve had so far.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2005, 22:18:19 »
OK wardy, you got a deal, soon as my neighbours start planting I'll spread the word!

I put an order in with Seeds of Italy and it arrived today ;D but I seem to have ordered some seeds I already have ??? so will have to find room for industrial quantitites of borlotti and squash next year :-[ Bet this never happens to other people ;)

terrace max

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2005, 11:12:28 »
Don't forget to buy some cannelini beans too, bean-lovers!

I plant them between the borlottis - my cannelinis are dwarf - and I have lots of phacelia in the area too, to attract the pollinators...it's a pretty sight! (Tut tutting old allotment scrunters can kiss my patootie)
I travelled to a mystical time zone
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

terrace max

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2005, 12:34:05 »
Just for you Wardy:

'Cannellino':

http://www.organiccatalog.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1502

Don't worry - I'm always planting dwarf beans at the bottom of 8' canes! Here's a climbing Borlotti:

http://www.organiccatalog.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=130

...sorry TM if I upset your finer feelings 

>:(  ;)  :)

(One day you'll see the light)
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

terrace max

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2005, 13:20:27 »
I got my Organic Gardening Catalogue a few weeks ago. In fact I got my seed order a couple of days ago. Get with it Daddy-O!

As for big vegans - I'm 6' 5" tall - so it hasn't inhibited my growth...but each to their own. :)
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

dingerbell

• Half Acre
  • A very productive morning
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2005, 17:14:54 »
What a coincidence...today on Radio 2, Clarissa Dickson-Wright was talking about the Radio 2 Lottie with Jeremy Vine and a question was asked regarding Runner Beans that had dried out. Her recommendation was to chuck them in a casserole with a Ham Hock or similar.  Better get over to the lottie and harvest those dried runners ;D

blight

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2005, 17:20:44 »
or better still, get them before they´re completely dry. less floury but very strongly flavoured. ten times more interesting then the bland  "proper" borlotti.

BAGGY

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2005, 15:08:28 »
So, let me get this straight.  You eat the seedy bit of the past it bean and chuck out the poddy bit ?  Ok for stews and the like.
Also has anyone tried growing bean that they have bought as a 'stew mix' dried selection ?  I thought I read about it here.
Get with the beat Baggy

blight

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2005, 15:39:09 »
I don´t dry mine. If I´ve got a lot (as with borlottis)
I blanch and freeze them.
I think they are nicer that way. and of course they don´t need soaking. a few minutes will cook them.

Lady Cosmos

• Acre
  • Lady of the dunes
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2005, 19:54:18 »

I always use the white flowering runnerbeans for drying. Theytaste the best, I think. I dry them and use them in soups, stews etc :D

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2005, 11:18:12 »
I grow Desiree which taste and look exactly like butter beans, really sweet and if let go cold after cooking are brill in salads.

BAGGY

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2005, 12:01:46 »
Wonder how that bloke's supermarket dried peas are getting on on the Big Dig.  We may never know.
Get with the beat Baggy

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal