Author Topic: Homemade propagator  (Read 2798 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Homemade propagator
« on: October 17, 2005, 22:08:38 »
Cant take credit for designing this as i saw this on Beechgrove Garden a few weeks ago.

Basicaly its a rectangular washing up bowl, with drainage holes drilled in the bottom and either cling film or a large clear plastic bag secured over the top.

After some failures with half hardy cuttings (rotting off), i decided to try it out. So far so good. the sides of the bowl keep the plastic top off the cuttings whilst avoiding the usual problem of the cutings touching the clear sides of a propagator lid of plastic bag and scorching.  If well sealed it provides a complete microclimate keeping the contents warm and moist (but not wet). Almost a bit like a 'Wardian Case'

Once the cutings show signs of rooting holes can be pierced in the covering for ventilation.

After my initial sucess with the first propagator, i found another bowl and made another one for some more cutings.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Re: Homemade propagator
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2005, 17:13:35 »
Are the cuttings in the house GC or shed, greenhouse etc

Sorry wardy, i should have said. they are in the greenhouse on the lower level of the staging. I have a piece of shading material on standby for sunny mornings - it can still get quite hot in the mornings even now.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal