Author Topic: BBC2 programme on allotments  (Read 37667 times)

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: BBC2 programme on allotments
« Reply #100 on: October 20, 2005, 16:06:31 »
I went to BBC Home Page and typed Points of View in the search.  This led me to the PoV message board where I have posted a complaint.
Obxx - Vendée France

the_snail

• Hectare
  • Be Kind to Slugs and Snails! :)
« Reply #101 on: October 20, 2005, 16:07:20 »
Be kind to slugs and snails!

the_snail

• Hectare
« Reply #102 on: October 20, 2005, 16:08:35 »
Posted by: Palustris  Posted on: Today at 16:05:04 
Insert Quote 
You have not missed anything believe me, it was dire. The words which spring to mind include, dumbed down, patronising, bland, dull and those are the best things I could say about it! 

I hope you are talking about Flog It :D

The_Snail

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #103 on: October 20, 2005, 16:10:55 »
You have not missed anything believe me, it was dire. The words which spring to mind include, dumbed down, patronising, bland, dull and those are the best things I could say about it!

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #104 on: October 20, 2005, 16:11:15 »
Never watched that, no the Dig It thing. If I had been one of the allotmenteers taking part, I would now be hiding my head in shame and embarrassment. It was b.....y awful.
Gardening is the great leveller.

BAGGY

• Hectare
« Reply #105 on: October 20, 2005, 16:11:32 »
Ta, I'm off there now. Even if it is dumbing down, how dare they cut it out.  Stop the soaps instead of our gardening progs.
Get with the beat Baggy

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #106 on: October 20, 2005, 16:13:57 »
It was dull and slow in parts but there are some little gems tucked away in there and, I hope, more to come as the season and plants develop.  Either way, I'd rather judge for myself than have the beeb pull it arbitrarily.  There's such a lot of complete dross on most of the time but at least this was Lottie dross.
Obxx - Vendée France

allotmanye

• Not So New ...
    • www.hoehoehoe@blogspot.com
« Reply #107 on: October 20, 2005, 16:15:04 »

You did not like it OK but lots of us did and to take it off with no explanation why is not on.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #108 on: October 20, 2005, 16:28:52 »
Palustris - I think you'll find it's producers and presenters that make programmes awful most of the time - from the woolly thinking at the concept stage to the cutting corners on production costs and values to having a presenter who, in this instance, has clearly never wielded a spade in earnest.

I also expect they did the filming during the week thus missing the people who can only tend their plots at weekends and thus missed plenty of characters and a variety of ages and backgrounds.

Whatever we think of the programme, the fact is that the BBC has, once again, been high-handed and not forthcoming on explanations.   All too often they forget that their "customers" have no choice about paying th elicense fee which provides the funding for their productions and salaries and pensions and so should be treated better.
Obxx - Vendée France

the_snail

• Hectare
« Reply #109 on: October 20, 2005, 16:36:28 »
Well put obelix!!

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #110 on: October 20, 2005, 16:50:15 »
Why thank you, kind sir!
Obxx - Vendée France

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #111 on: October 20, 2005, 17:14:05 »
I have been onto the BBC complaints site and whinged.  Admittedly I'm not at home yet but I'd even written out all the DVDs ready to be recorded onto, and you chaps telling me it was pulled is infuriating!

moonbells

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctwo/listings/index.shtml?service_id=4224&day=friday
says it's on tomorrow...

I have even dusted off my old login and added my voice on the thread in the gardening forum!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2005, 17:31:17 by moonbells »
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

allotmanye

• Not So New ...
    • www.hoehoehoe@blogspot.com
« Reply #112 on: October 20, 2005, 17:21:23 »
Hear Hear. I am sure that even us "allotmaneers" are capable of understanding any reason that the BBC have to pull the program.

Perhaps they had complaints that there was not enough swearing, sex or violence in it to make enough people watch it.

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #113 on: October 20, 2005, 17:34:12 »
Actually allotmanye, you may have solved it.

I think I heard a few references to the red stuff in our veins yesterday. I'll bet someone has complained and they are having to go to be re-edited as they are going out at school hometime and we can't have the nippers learning such terrible words!

Sorry, I'll come out of sarky mode now...

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #114 on: October 20, 2005, 17:47:04 »
My son wanted to go to see the hens straight from school but I refused because I wanted to see the programme. Then I sat impatiently waiting for my tot to finish watching a new programme on ITV. Meanwhile I switched the vcr on. When the little un's programme finished I switched over...what the heck is this...Flog it??!! 

Eric it might be dumbed down but I've enjoyed it so far. I need to see other people's allotments to get some sense of what I can do with mine. I'm a complete novice where growing veg is concerned.

I hope all they are doing is editing all those recaps and voice overs. Makes me think it was made for a channel with adverts to be honest.

the_snail

• Hectare
« Reply #115 on: October 20, 2005, 17:50:09 »
It was a pleasent change to see a gardening program where they did not say to the viewer all the time, this week in the Garden Center or this week at your local nursery you can get this plant which is cheap at £10 a pot.

It was about basic, getting your hands dirty, cheap and practical gardening and veg growing. Ordanary, enthusiastic gardeners doing what they enjoy the most growing flowers and veg. Why BBC have you pulled this program?? Why??

So it is more make over programs where the ground force team show you how you can have a garden in two days if you have a spear army of people and a few £10,000 spear in your bank account?

Or better still more bloomin car boot programs and antique programs. Why??? Why??

I am not a happy snail to say the least!!!

Rant OVER!

The_Snail

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #116 on: October 20, 2005, 19:12:24 »
I don't care what anyone says, it was a programme about a subject in which I'm interested, it shows other peoples ways of doing things and someone Else's experience is usually useful even if it contradicts mine, I found it entertaining.

I didn't feel at all patronised, on the contrary I feel slightly superior to most of the "allotmenteers" in the show, I've learned nothing new from it so far but so what, if I wanted educating I'd go to college.

At the end of the day it's an allotment programme and not another in the usual line of soaps, talk shows and all the other dross paid for with my license fee, so GET IT BACK ON NOW I say.

Sorry for the rant but that's how I feel >:(

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #117 on: October 20, 2005, 19:35:58 »
I completely agree MT.
And to replace it with a programme that is a repeat, makes it even more infuriating >:(
Anyway I have emailed my complaint
MM

AikenDrum

• Acre
« Reply #118 on: October 20, 2005, 20:32:14 »
I pray to the gods that I don't believe in that I'm wrong about this  .. I'd rather lose my winning lottery ticket  ... but I am giving the Beeb the benifit of the doubt here and suspecting that one of the "stars" has gone to the big plot in the sky and they need to get permission to continue broadcasting  ... allways think the best 'til I'm proven wrong  *fingers crossed*
The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is the fact that it has never tried to contact us.

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #119 on: October 20, 2005, 20:41:33 »
now there's a thought AD  :-\
MM

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal