Author Topic: Pumpkin Massacre  (Read 3284 times)

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
Pumpkin Massacre
« on: October 07, 2005, 18:47:37 »
Decided to pop over to the allotment before tea as I needed some more potatoes.  I was crossing the basket ball court near my allotment site when I saw an ominous site,  - pieces of pumpkins smashed all over the court.  Rushed to my plot and sure enough my huge massive pumpkin and another medium sized one were missing. My gorgeous beautiful smiling pumpkins had been massacred  :( >:(.. 

Vandals seem to have got in around the back of the plot and taken them.  Have a couple of little ones left and two tiny ones.  I was saving the big one to see how much more it would grow.  I am so glad I took the other pumpkins home with me in the wheelbarrow as I feel sure they would have gone too.  Ah well, that is life!  When I left the Site two boys were kicking  the carcases around the basket ball court; It has made a terrible mess.  Reprimanded them (sure they weren't the culprits that stole them), they just saw them and decided to use them as footballs.  Have picked some of the big seeds and will dry them for next year, so not everything was lost. busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
Re: Pumpkin Massacre
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2005, 20:05:21 »
Jean,

Some kids ( presumably) should be kicked around in the same  way  that they kicked your

pumpkins.

Mindless vandalism.

Makes me so angry.

Debs  >:(

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2005, 09:58:44 »
Oh BL, I would be devastated. I suppose those lovely bright orange globes are just too tempting to the mindless little twerps that have nothing better to do with their time!

I actually camouflaged mine when they got big and beautiful under fleece and then decided to take them off the plot just in case.

Glad you got your others off!   DP
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

spacehopper

• Hectare
  • Its a jungle out there...
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2005, 11:17:17 »
Little sods. I'd report them.  >:(
Make the most of today, because you'll never have it back again.

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2005, 11:24:25 »
My OH I and were just talking about next year and how we could protect them, fleece sounds like a good idea DP.  Thank you all for your sympathy.  My OH says he is surprised I have taken it so well as he thought I would be in tears at the sight of all that devastation, but I think I had prepared myself for it as they did stand out and attracted a lot of attention. busy_lizzie

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2005, 14:12:59 »
mindless bleeders   ;D
I came, I saw, I composted

Delilah

• Hectare
  • its OK to be slightly cracked!
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2005, 14:17:10 »
Gutted for you BL - amazed how positively you,ve taken the massacre!!!!!
If you don't make mistakes, you'll never make anything!

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2005, 22:45:00 »
Oh BL, poor you! I wonder if some of the non-orange ones (crown prince, choggia etc) would be less visible to vandals too.
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

RSJK

• Hectare
  • its great to be on the allotment
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2005, 17:07:25 »
Feel so sorry for you BL,  but please try and remember that the poor little B##t##d# that did this perhaps came from a broken family and of course there is nothing what so ever for them to do these days ( how the hell did we ever amuse are selves in days gone by I shudder to think ) The little s##ts want birching.
Richard       If it's not worth having I will have it

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2005, 23:41:55 »
Aw Busy I'm so sorry for you.  I'd be gutted. Well done you for taking it so well.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2005, 12:29:22 »
Oh BL!  You are being very brave!!  My auntie has an allotment in Basingstoke and they suffer from vandalism so she purposely lets the weeds grow around the plants to hide the fruits from the gate.  Tis such a shame!  I despair with kids sometimes, I really do!

P.S.  BL, been thinking of you since the weekend and hope you sat on your bench in the sunshine and had happy thoughts.

jaggythistle

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2005, 12:41:09 »

Sorry thats happend to you BL :'(.... Richard how do you come by the kids n
  broken homes comment..?

undercarriage plan

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2005, 13:15:43 »
So sorry, Bizzie Lizzie, must have felt awful when you found them. Woud send you one, but mine didn't even develope this year! Best wishes. Lottie

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2005, 16:48:34 »
If you are local, you are welcome to a couple of mine ...

Derekthefox :D

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2005, 18:27:50 »
Thank you all so much.  You are all so nice.  :-* Have felt a bit vulnerable today.  Thank you so much for your thoughts Emma, that is kind of you.  We went to St. Nicholas's Cathedral in Newcastle today and I lit a candle in rememberance of my Mam who died a year today.  busy_lizzie

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal