Author Topic: insulating greenhouse  (Read 4134 times)

Simon05

• Half Acre
insulating greenhouse
« on: October 03, 2005, 14:37:41 »
I know the best stuff to use is bubblewrap, but do you cover all the greenhous in it or just a few feet around all the sides? when do you remove the insulation? or can you leave it in place all year

Delilah

• Hectare
  • its OK to be slightly cracked!
Re: insulating greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2005, 16:24:26 »
I think it would need removing in summer else greenhouse would get too hot

We are going to clean and insulate next weekend and I was wondering the same about how much of the greenhouse to cover with bubble wrap - just sides or roof as well
If you don't make mistakes, you'll never make anything!

beejay

• Acre
  • SW London
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2005, 11:32:57 »
We cover all the greenhouse in bubble wrap but if your greenhouse is not full of plants you can  just do a small area as long as you make sure it is surrounded ie a bubble wrap box within the greenhouse.

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2005, 13:59:10 »
the roof is important-so don`t skimp

Simon05

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2005, 21:01:14 »
thanks for the replies, with not having any plants in the greenhouse, the bubblewrap box is the best way to go.

KevB

• Hectare
  • Now where did I Plant those Seeds
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2005, 08:51:48 »
Sorry to state the obvious but? if there are no plants being kept in the GH then why insulate at all?? or is it the beds that your talking about insulating?? Mine is a different style of GH as i dont have beds just a worktop / shelving sort of thing, so as frost drops will I only need to insulate the roof??
If I wasn't Gardening I'd be shopping!! thank God for Gardening!!

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2005, 04:43:16 »
You really need to insulate all the glass/perspex panels, sides, ends & top for it to be effective

Delilah

• Hectare
  • its OK to be slightly cracked!
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2005, 09:06:05 »
OK so whole greenhouse insulated - no glass left to be seen and what happens the weather turns back to summer and and the green house is like a steam room - another hot day forecast here today!!!!!!!!
If you don't make mistakes, you'll never make anything!

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2005, 17:18:01 »
For the first few years we insulated the whole of the greenhouse. Now I am getting old(er) I only insulate the sides back and front as I find it a bit difficult to insulate the roof. I don't like bothering the kids for every little job., but would prefer to do the whole greenhouse.. I am going to disinfect and bubble wrap this w/e heater will be switched on when it turns colder and if we have nice frost free days I will open the door (heater off) for a few hours.  Works for me, I mainly have fu*hsia and geranium cuttings. Lorna.

ruudbarb

• Half Acre
  • Let's get dirty and dig up the spuds..........
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2005, 21:45:41 »
As with our own houses, most of the heat lost from a greenhouse in still weather is through the roof followed by the walls [you can forget windows etc here for obvious reasons] and in windy weather, the myriad gaps in the glazing then contribute a major part.  To be fully effective the whole glazed area neads insulating but unless you need to use all the house, consider partitioning off the end oppsite the door.  Even better, if you only have a few plants you need to overwinter frostfree, is to make a mini-greenhouse or polyhouse.  If you do the latter on staging don't forget to insulate the underside of the staging.  It is also very important to ensure adequate ventilation is available on sunny days even in mid-winter and in the case of a mini-house, removed when there is no frost risk. 

Insulation is best removed in the spring once the cold weather has finished and the warm weather has arrived for the duration of the summer and if you can predict when that is, you are better than most of us........... ???

EmmaLou

• Half Acre
    • www.peachpicture.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2005, 21:02:32 »
Does it matter what type of bubble wrap you use? I read somewhere that you should use UV stabilised stuff. Also does it matter whether you get the stuff with small or big bubbles?

Any advice on where to get it cheaply?

Cheers
Emma

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2005, 21:33:16 »
Bigger the bubble the better the insulating qualities

MikeB

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2005, 12:30:32 »
Well, the great Essex greenhouse insulation project began in ernest today!  I save all the bubblewrap I can throughout the year, and now have several sack fulls.  I have a wire in the apex of the roof which runs the length of the house and I attach the wrap there and then take it down the pains using clips to hold the wrap to the window frames.  It is a palava, and I get very up close and personal with some whopping spiders, but it is worth it as it will cut down on your heating bills.  My electric heater won't go in until after Chrimble as I don't find it gets cold enough until January, and the bubblewrap comes down again around March/April time. 

Don't forget to make sure the outside of your greenhouse is nice and clean as you want as much sunlight in as possible during the dark winter months, and also, if it is a warm bright and breezy day, get the door open to prevent midlew and moulds!

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2005, 14:14:53 »
Phew, job done!  Only took 3 hours!!

ruudbarb

• Half Acre
  • Let's get dirty and dig up the spuds..........
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2005, 20:48:56 »
Phew, job done!  Only took 3 hours!!
Well done EJ.  The anniversary of the big wind in 1987 was yesterday so unless you believe in repeats, your greenhouse should be safe for the winter and as snug as an aphid on an aristolochia........ :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal