Author Topic: Allotment restrictions  (Read 23960 times)

AndyC

• Not So New ...
Re: Allotment restrictions
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2005, 19:20:27 »
Sorry to hear your hassles EmmaLou.  What planet is this person on?   ???Allotments are not "natural" in the way that say a woodland is, they are manmade environments with a rustic charm all their own.  A small swing for your 2 yr old should in no way upset anyone.  I have a 1yr old and a 4yr old.  The 4yr old can do an hour at the lottie maximum, the 1yr old looks on from her buggy and cries after 15mins.  They need entertaining and this women should be proud you are trying to get the family involved in a good useful pursuit!  And as for not allowing sheds, well that sounds like madness to me! >:(.  I see yours is owned by a  town council.  Unlike districts or boroughs they are usually very small with maybe only one or two staff who do everything, rather than at a district where you may get an good dedicated allotment officer who understands and has good knowledge of the subject (mine is excellent by the way and highly supportive of newbies, cheers Chris!).

Couch grassin', ever diggin', bed mulchin', back breakin', poo spreadin', slow livin', veg growin'....Andy!

EmmaLou

• Half Acre
    • www.peachpicture.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2005, 21:09:36 »
I have just received a letter about joining the Tring Allotment Association, so I think I might sign up. Hopefully they can help put my views to the council.

I might give them a link to this thread so they can see where I'm coming from!

Emma

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2005, 23:30:19 »
i have checked the link you posted and have to say i didnt see anything about not being allowed sheds - it says 'no building shall be erected' but a shed is not a building by planning law.

unless i missed a specific shed section

Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

robontheallotment

« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2005, 00:07:02 »
I bet a youngster swinging to and fro scares a lot more pigeons than a CD does.

Get some rustic poles and a bit of strong rope, make a frame, grow some beans and put a bird deterrent in between.

Were they never young

EmmaLou

• Half Acre
    • www.peachpicture.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2005, 13:43:47 »
Get some rustic poles and a bit of strong rope, make a frame, grow some beans and put a bird deterrent in between.

robontheallotment you made me giggle! I feel much better now - amazing how good a laugh can make you feel!

Very interesting what you have to say Svea - I hadn't looked at it in that way.
i have checked the link you posted and have to say i didnt see anything about not being allowed sheds - it says 'no building shall be erected' but a shed is not a building by planning law. unless i missed a specific shed section

I am definitely going to follow all this up, but it is very scary as I don't want to become an outcast at the allotments.

Oh and just an example of how it is there... the other day as leaving my lottie, I passed a man working on his plot. As he turned and glanced I said a cheery "Hello!" to him. He looked at me as though I had been realeased from the mental institute for the day! What is this world coming to if people can't say hello to each other! I am going to make even more effort to say hi to everyone I meet - maybe it will rub off and more people will start being friendly. (Or even more people will think I am mad...but I don't care at least I am happy!)  :)

beejay

• Acre
  • SW London
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2005, 14:09:35 »
Good for you EmmaLou. Keep at it & don't stop being nice to the crochety lot.

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2005, 14:43:08 »
Keep it up Emma. You have right on your side, and just think when you win through how good you will feel.  You will be striking a blow for other mothers in your position.  As far as this strange man at the allotments is concerned, you just keep smiling and being friendly, his attitude is his problem.  All the best to you.  :) busy_lizzie 
live your days not count your years

timf

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2005, 16:19:49 »
Oh and just an example of how it is there... the other day as leaving my lottie, I passed a man working on his plot. As he turned and glanced I said a cheery "Hello!" to him. He looked at me as though I had been realeased from the mental institute for the day! What is this world coming to if people can't say hello to each other! I am going to make even more effort to say hi to everyone I meet - maybe it will rub off and more people will start being friendly. (Or even more people will think I am mad...but I don't care at least I am happy!)  :)

it's not just on your site courtesy seems to have disappeared

the other day i held a door for a 'lady'
whose response was there's no need to do that

i replied
"I held the door because i am a gentleman not because you are a lady"

the look on her face was a picture.

lorz

• Not So New ...
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2005, 17:41:52 »
sympathisesay that there are no such restrictions on our allotments  :( however i do sympathsise with you. i think that sheds and benches do no such thing and if you get a nice ruRustie looking bench then it adds to the beauty not takes it away from it. i cant believe that they make you carry your tools all the way! I'I'mlucky because the gate is about 3 metres from my house so i ddon'thave very far to carry them. :P

lorz
XX

p.s do not give up hope!!
Lorz XX :) :)

Nathan

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2005, 20:40:32 »
Good luck Emma we are all with you

Let us know the address if you want letters or emails in support
Nathan

EmmaLou

• Half Acre
    • www.peachpicture.co.uk
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2005, 20:58:21 »
"I held the door because i am a gentleman not because you are a lady"

Very good reply! timf

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2005, 11:24:46 »
Tim, Great reply. I for one am old fashioned and believe it is good manners to hold doors open for people etc... I am impressed if a man allows me to go first through a door still as good manners are so rare these days.

There is a real mixed bunch on our lottie too - most people totally blank you, others lecture about their personal problems for 1/2 hr at a time and stop me getting anythig done! Cannot win.

Unfortunately, it is mainly the other young people who are the rudest, I do try to say hello to people as Emma does, but they look straight through you.

Good Luck with it Emma! (and hello Emma's mum)  :)

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2005, 08:46:08 »
You can bet your bottom dollar that one of the old codgers complained about the swing. What he was really complaining about was you having a child on the allotments. It's bad enough women being there ( to some of the dig for victory brigade ) without children too.

kentishchloe

• Half Acre
  • Happy Tummies:)
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2005, 14:35:08 »
I took my toddler to the lottie with me yesterday and he was sooooo good. He sat in his buggy and chattered away to me whilst i was working.  The two old chaps who were also there were very taken with him, played with him, read his book and seemed really pleased to see him.  Hopefully as he gets older he'll be more involved, growing sunflowers, cherry toms, radishes etc. I can't wait.  Have yet to see if any other lottie holders object to his cheerful chatter :D
And there were gardens bright with sinuous rills,
Where blossomed many an incense-bearing tree;
'Kubla Khan' Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Vez1

• Half Acre
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2005, 14:37:22 »
the men on my plot are great. I take my 2 1/2 year old nephew sometimes, they give him juice and biscuits, one of them also gave me a plastic paddling pool for him in the summer. He has a great time when he is there.

Carrie

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2005, 15:37:57 »
Hi Emmalou

I've just read throught the conditions. Condition 10 is the only one that they could catch you on, but only if they gave you notice either when you signed up or subsequently by pinning up notices on the site saying that there was a special condition that swings were not allowed. If you were not given notice then they don't have a leg to stand on. Nothing in those conditions saying that you have to preserve the allotment site in a state of beauty. You could always tell them that you have consulted a lawyer about this ( I'm a solicitor so it is true in a way!!)

EmmaLou

• Half Acre
    • www.peachpicture.co.uk
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2005, 15:50:06 »
Yes I agree that the contract is a bit open ended when it comes to condition 10, but I would have thought that if they had any additional rules that had come up in the past they would pass them onto any new plot holders.

It would have been polite if they had given me an official letter and an explanation, but all I got was a compliment slip with the message on.

I went to the allotment today and put the swing back up (initially I had laid it on the floor after getting the note). My daughter had great fun on it. I think I might put the adult seat back on it so I can enjoy it too!

I am going to write a letter to them explaining why I am leaving it up and see where we go from there.

Thank you everyone for your views and advice - I will keep you updated.

Emma
x

EmmaLou

• Half Acre
    • www.peachpicture.co.uk
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2005, 20:46:15 »
I asked if it would be possible to put a little fence around part of the plot - no this wasn't allowed either.

I have had an idea for getting around the above! I could grow cordon apples around my plot! I noticed that someone else at the allotment had done this. ;D

beejay

• Acre
  • SW London
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2005, 09:54:01 »
Ace idea, you could grow cordon goosegobs, red & white currants & all your cane fruits as well. You could surruond yourself!

colleenemp

• Half Acre
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2005, 09:59:06 »
HA! We're not even allowed a shed.........unless you've hidden it well and have had your plot for 20+years...ah well. :-\

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal