Author Topic: Allotment restrictions  (Read 23919 times)

EmmaLou

• Half Acre
    • www.peachpicture.co.uk
Allotment restrictions
« on: October 07, 2005, 10:44:46 »
Just writing to vent my annoyance at the restrictions on my allotment!

Today I got a letter thanking me for the rent payment I had made. On a compliment slip with it was the message 'Please remove the swing from your plot', no explanation with it.

When I first got my lottie I discovered that my daughter only had a short attention span when it came to digging and pulling up weeds (she is only 2 afterall) and she kept running off and trampling over other peoples veg (spent most of the time trying to catch her!), so I decided to put an old swing on the plot to keep her amused. I also had the plan to grow beans and peas up it.

I gave the Town Council a phone call to find out exactly why I wasn't allowed it. The reason they gave me was that it "spoils the natural beauty of the place". They also said that they wouldn't allow benches or chairs. When I commented that there already appeared to be people using benches, she said that they would also have received letters asking them to remove them (I don't consider a note on a compliment slip a letter!).  I was told to find another way to restrain my daughter although not to bring anything that would be permanent. This in itself is difficult as I already have to carry all my gardening equipment with me as we are not allowed sheds, so there is no way I could also bring say a push along car! I asked if it would be possible to put a little fence around part of the plot - no this wasn't allowed either. I told her that I had the intention of growing stuff up the swing to disguise it. No not allowed - everyone would want to do it if I was allowed. She questioned me as to why my daughter wasn't in nursery! Flipping cheek! Had to explain that she didn't get a free place until next September (I'm on benefits and can't afford to send her now). How very frustrating! None of these restrictions are on the contract I signed! >:(

Finally I suggested that I could shorten the swing. I think she was now fed up with me disturbing her, so she told me I should put it in writing to her and she would consider allowing it for one year until I put my daughter into nursery, as long as I shorten it. I guess that was a slight achievement.

I wonder if the people with ugly plastic compost bins have been asked to remove them? Or the people that leave rusty tools around have been asked to take them home? The place isn't of particular natural beauty as half the plots are overgrown and don't appear to be used (although we get told there is a huge waiting list for a plot). Maybe people take on the allotments and end up having to abandon them because of the endless restrictions.

Personally I love seeing the other allotment sites with sheds, benches etc. I don't think they ruin the natural beauty of the place - they are a sign of community spirit and proof that humans do exist! I would love to have somewhere to put my tools, rest my back after digging, amuse my daughter, oh and a toilet would be nice! I am so jealous of some of you lot that have all these things! You never see anyone at my site sitting and having a flask of tea and a chat.

Please someone let me know I'm not the only one!

:'( losing faith.

Emma

Alan_Y

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re: Allotment restrictions
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2005, 12:35:25 »
Sorry to hear of your problem.

Is your site classed as an allotment or an allotment & leisure garden?

Here in Halton , Cheshire we encourage families and children and I would approve of a fold down swing or slide  sandpit etc.

Read through your tenancy agreement and see what restrictions there are and try to speak to the allotment officer involved. If again you have no joy see your local councilor for his support.

Best of look

Alan
As One Door Closes, Anther One Slams In Your Face.

kentishchloe

• Half Acre
  • Happy Tummies:)
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2005, 12:50:09 »
Emma that sounds awful - i know all about trying to keep little people entertained whilst gardening, not easy with a 13 month old!

By the sounds of it your council should object to bean supports, fruit cages or anything that supports your plants- have people been asked to remove their runners & sunflowers?  Load of rubbish >:( >:( >:(
And there were gardens bright with sinuous rills,
Where blossomed many an incense-bearing tree;
'Kubla Khan' Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2005, 14:28:25 »
OMG!  Nerve of it!!  And not even allowed a bench or a seat.  Amazing!  More like a concentration camp than an allotment!  What a shame, and it would have looked fab with beans growing over it and your daughter swinging on it!  What about a sand pit sunken into the ground with a cover that could go on it when you leave......I suppose they would consider that permanent, but you could always disguise the cover......

beejay

• Acre
  • SW London
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2005, 15:15:07 »
I think that is absolutely atrocious. In my experience allotment sites are not areas of beauty although they do have their own quirky charm. That woman had no right questioning whether your daughter should be in Nursery - it's up to you where she is until she is school age.  As already suggested read your tenancy agreement carefully - a swing aint permanent, & no seats or benches................................well.

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2005, 16:11:08 »
I am appalled by what you have said about the restrictions Emma.  As Beejay has said allotments are not landscaped gardens and surely they would want to encourage the next generation onto the allotment site. Where are all the next gardeners going to come from otherwise? 

It is a stuffy and pompous attitude.  Are they afraid it will encourage vandals or think you will sue if your daughter falls off it?  Just can't understand that attitude.   I think Alan has given you some good advice.  >:(  busy_lizzie

live your days not count your years

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2005, 16:13:41 »
I'm just glad that its not like that on our site - two people have put sheds where they shouldn't really just makes it awkward to drive pass but its not a problem as i've only just got the site. The council should be incouraging children of all ages to see where our vegtables come from and not sticking them in a nursery before they have to go to school. Ask fellows members if the swing bothers them and if not don't worry about it as long as the rest of the plot is not overgrown next year the will not see it through beans etc

Are the council trying to upset people to sell the land???

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2005, 16:40:00 »
Hi Emma,

really sorry to hear this, what a cheek!

Hope you have some joy once you have put it in writing, maybe she is a major jobs worth and was not happy you went ahead without telling them. I emailed the councildept to get permission for our shed, even though we had already laid the slabs to put it on. But they do not appear to have noticed we had gone ahead anyway.

A compliment slip is def. not acceptable written notice for something like this as far as I am concerned either.

DM

terrace max

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2005, 18:48:43 »
She questioned me as to why my daughter wasn't in nursery!

Did you ask her why she wasn't in a home for deranged bureaucrats?
I travelled to a mystical time zone
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2005, 20:01:09 »
If there's nothing in the contract to forbid it, you could write to one of your councillors, or your MP, about it. If nothing else, they would then be forced to try to find a plausible explanation, and they might well back down if they couldn't thnk of one.

EmmaLou

• Half Acre
    • www.peachpicture.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2005, 21:18:24 »
Thanks guys for the support! Glad to know some people aren't so stuck up!

Here is the link to my allotment contract. See what you make of it!

http://www.tring.gov.uk/info/allots.htm

Rose.mary

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2005, 21:50:30 »
Oh Emma! How sad that you don't have a community spirit on your site. Particularly when you have your little girl with you.
Perhaps it is bad management that breeds that kind of attitude and does not encourage friendship.
When I got my plot, 2 of my friends, Stan and Barbara got one as well, and we are now next to each other. Stans shed is like a tea room, we all gather round and have a break, and a cup of tea, usually provided by Stan. Quite often there are 5 or more of us together, having a laugh and exchanging ideas and plants. Oh what a lovely summer it has been!!
Rosemary

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2005, 01:07:17 »
Didn't see anything about a swing on there Emma.  Think they are being downright officious.  Do think you should pursue this with your local councillor or the allotments officer.  Just hate to think of them getting away with this. busy_lizzie

Derek

• Acre
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2005, 08:19:38 »
I thought that the powers that be have in recent years been trying to get rid of the 'old' concept of allotment gardens....retired old men in flat caps (sorry if I have offended)

By trying to be Politically Correct they are now generally referred to as "Allotment & LEISURE Gardens" ....surely this is aimed at young families therefore swings and the like would be an option ...after all they are portable

On the other hand could it be the Health & safety aspect they are concerned about?  All swings now have to have a certain surface etc. beneath them.....liability and all that

Derek
Derek... South Leicestershire

I am in my own little world, ...it's OK, ...they know me there!

EmmaLou

• Half Acre
    • www.peachpicture.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2005, 09:38:16 »
I did wonder if it was the health and safety aspect, but the only answer they gave me for removing it was the fact that it spoilt the natural beauty of the area.

ayjayel

• Me (Very soft focus version ;-)
    • Foto Albums
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2005, 10:27:08 »
As Emma's mum I was appalled that they could say this. Her little girl is lovely but she's a typical 2 year old with a attention span to go with it. 5 minutes digging (or even making mud pies) is all she can take. I've been up there and it's not exactly a place of beauty but it has certain quirkiness and timelessness about it as all allotments do. They are supposed to be places of community. I can remember going to my Uncles allotment with him when I was small. I could be there with Uncle Donald now when I go to Emma's. The only difference is my Uncle used to chat with the other people there, exchange crops, gossip, share a cuppa. You don't see that here. And now we know why!
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons,
For you are crunchy, and good with mustard.

spacehopper

• Hectare
  • Its a jungle out there...
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2005, 11:33:04 »
Thats unbelievable! What is the woman on?! I'd get her to show you exactly where in the rules it tells you you can't attach a swing to your bean supports. I bet she can't because it won't be there. Be nicer than nice to her and make her feel ever so important and she'll probably back down anyways. She sounds like she's on some sort of power trip. Maybe you could take the swing off while you are not there? Lots of people have permanent bean supports. She is just being a pain in the @rse.

Our twenty month old has quite a few toys at the allotment, tractors, diggers, a tipper truck and some little tools (rake, spade). He likes to fill the tipper truck with soil and transport it to another part of the allotment. Another favourite game is "swap the labels" wich is dead useful when we try and identify plants.  ::) We are going to make a sand pit. If anyone makes a fuss its "for carrots". We'd like to get a swing but need to find one at the right price.

I hope this gets resolved Emma (and granny! )
Make the most of today, because you'll never have it back again.

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2005, 11:36:04 »
If you get no joy from legal means, you could be sneaky and disguise the swing as a fruit cage and put fleece over it when you aren't there.  ;D  I know you shouldn't have to do that and it would be very satisfying to openly win this cause. All these petty useless rules are just not in the spirit of allotmenteering. busy_lizzie

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2005, 13:11:45 »
They've got nothing there to support a ban on swings, so if it was me I'd refuse to move it, and go to my MP or the press if they tried to insist. They can't enforce a nonexistent rule!

Alan_Y

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2005, 14:29:56 »
 I in now way support what the council are doing bt item 10 is very vague to cover anything.

I would suggest as others that you contact your local press and your local cllr.

Also I would give the National society a ring there legal guy is very good and may be able to put you straight.

Good Luck

As One Door Closes, Anther One Slams In Your Face.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal