Author Topic: Advise on winter squash varieties please  (Read 8299 times)

fbgrifter

• Acre
  • All change
Re: Advise on winter squash varieties please
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2005, 08:29:02 »
doris>>  what a gorgeous plot.  so is that string/rope on the frames?  and where didya get the wood?  what type?

All>>  i also grew turks turban, got 7 fruit on one plant.  very ornamental but found the taste more like a courgette than a sweet pumpkin.
It'll be better next year

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2005, 09:05:50 »
FB, thats string from hay bales on the frames, and the wood is from our local roofing company, I get a huge bundle for a fiver.......actually the last lot was free!
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2005, 12:50:51 »
My Blue Hubbards & Turks T's taste great, must depend on soil type etc. I suppose

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2005, 14:03:32 »
A fello member on the allotment gave me what i think is a butternut squash but its not fully grown yet and is still green. Can you eat it like that??

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2005, 13:11:18 »
Doris Pinks, thanks for the tip, vertical they will be ;D

once I get them to grow upwards, I assume that it is necassary to 'stop' them. 

what sort of length do you let yours grow to until you pinch out the growing tips?
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2005, 14:08:08 »
Ermmm  very scientific me..........when I remember to do it! :-[   I tend to let mine go to the top of the frames and beyond then suddenly realise they need stopping! :-\  I weave them in and out of the string as they grow.

Rosyred, you can eat them young but I prefer the taste when they have been cured, that is to say left on a windowsill or in the greenhouse to ripen the fruit.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2005, 14:13:48 »
I turned my turks turban into a lantern this morning.  The flesh which I was not wild about is now in the compost bin.  I shall be eating a Sweet Mama tonight, cut in half, and I think I'll cube the flesh and fry it up with onion, garlic, mushrooms, sweetcorn, rice, flat leaf parsley on top and a bit of cheese on top and put back into the shells and put into a hot oven.  I might need a bit of stock in it if it looks a bit dry.  That's my plan but it might get revised as I go  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2005, 14:17:14 »
I shall be eating a Sweet Mama tonight, cut in half, and I think I'll cube the flesh and fry it up
Cannibalism??? Hopefully not a guest Wardy! ;D  ;D  ;D

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2005, 14:20:24 »
Tee hee  ;D    I do have a guest tonight actually but a sweet mama he aint  ;)

I'm not going to cook my squash thingy for him as it might be a disaster. I'll try it out on the old man first  :)  Ooh forgot the garlic oh and a bit of bacon in it might be nice  :)  I'll end up with everything bar the kitchen sink it  :)

colleenemp

• Half Acre
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2005, 17:56:13 »
Butternut squash...lovely. Best tasting pumpkin is crown prince - particularly for pies...mmmmmm cinamon....pastry etc...I grew some small yellow squash this year, bought as seed from some garden center - mini veg only name given, good in stews as hold texture well, and you can eat the skins so not fiddly.....easy to grow to and they don't sprawl too much, unlike others! :P

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2005, 18:36:52 »
The Sweet Mama was like sweet potato.  Very nice but not much flesh. 

Used a different squash to make soup for tea.  Another unlabelled variety.  I must get to grips with this labelling.  Made good soup  :)

campanula

• Hectare
  • double digging dudette
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2005, 21:41:09 »
Uchiki Kuri - a hubbard type -great keeping and eating and a good size )about 1.5 kgs. Also, Crown Prince is especially beautiful and Jack Be Little are lovely little baby squash just right for one person. Sweet Dumpling are OK. I find the Hubbard squashes the tastiest and they make lush creamy soup. Also, not a winter squash but white or yellow patty pans are fab.

undercarriage plan

« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2005, 21:49:12 »
Must try Sweet mama!! Doris will begin construction asap!! Looks great and squashes travelled long way this season  ::) Into loganberry, carrots, leeks and across other compost heap!! Thanks for butternut ID earlier on in season, thought would show you end result. Dead chuffed.. ;D ;D ;D

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2005, 22:58:25 »
I didn't get one butternut  :(

undercarriage plan

« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2005, 23:57:53 »
Oh Wardy, sorry! PM address will send you some with huge guilt boquet, and chocolates, erm and rhubarb wine, and take dog for walk...... :-\ Lottie

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2005, 00:05:38 »
Lottie, your butternut crop looks impressive, I am going to try cobnut (better suited to the UK climate) next year, assuming I can get the seed from HDRA at Ryton ...

They also have the tomatillo seeds, and that aubergine you mentioned ... so I will have a little shopping list. It is ideal for me, as my daughter's stables is only a mile or so down the road ...

Derekthefox :D

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2005, 08:38:44 »
Oh thanks Lots - you're so kind  :)

Diana

• Acre
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2005, 09:21:01 »
I didn't get one butternut  :(

Me neither Wardy. Oh well, will try again next year - think I need to get them out earlier, prob under cover at first as they seemed to take a long time to take off + then it was too late
Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2005, 09:38:59 »
I grew mine with lots of competition so maybe that was the problem.  I put mine in manure with sweetcorn, runner and french beans with a butternut at each end.  Got masses of foliage though  :)

kentishchloe

• Half Acre
  • Happy Tummies:)
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2005, 12:58:39 »
Ooh Lottie, your butternuts are short & squat like mine - i'm so pleased, i was feeling inferior when i saw other people long, elegant jobs. Glad mine are fat & happy - like me ;D (I only got 6 though :()
And there were gardens bright with sinuous rills,
Where blossomed many an incense-bearing tree;
'Kubla Khan' Samuel Taylor Coleridge

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal