Author Topic: what to do next?  (Read 2086 times)

murielh

• Not So New ...
what to do next?
« on: October 06, 2005, 11:04:04 »
I've almost finished digging over my lottie,but i'm not sure what to do next?

wardy

• Hectare
Re: what to do next?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2005, 11:31:22 »
Have you thought about what you'd like to grow, eg the stuff you like to eat.  That's usually a good starting point.  Get yourself some seeds catalogues to inspire you.  Get some manure delivered is another job and then you could put manure on the beds which need manuring (for certain crops) and then you can cover them with polythene etc for the winter and just leave them so they'll be ready for spring.  Then on any beds which are left you can get some produce in
I came, I saw, I composted

onion_grower

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2005, 12:59:46 »
Also get some winter onion sets from your local nursery or garden center :)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2005, 13:15:42 »
And you could get some winter greens to go in now.  I have just planted 2 varieties of cauli, 2 or broccoli and 2 of cabbage.  Also, if you have access to fleece or cloches, you could sow some loose salad leaves for picking in about 4 to 6 weeks time.  OR, you could sow plenty of green manure over your plot to dig in during early spring, or you could start shovelling lashings of rotted manure or compost over the bare ground.

spacehopper

• Hectare
  • Its a jungle out there...
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2005, 19:29:42 »
How about putting some boad beans and smooth peas in?
Make the most of today, because you'll never have it back again.

AndyC

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2005, 20:41:44 »
I've just done onions and garlic and then will do broad beans.  Lucky you for being done with the digging, I've still got lots to do :(
Couch grassin', ever diggin', bed mulchin', back breakin', poo spreadin', slow livin', veg growin'....Andy!

terrace max

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2005, 18:50:43 »
Digging? - don't bother - it's bad for your soil anyway, unless its seriously compacted...
I travelled to a mystical time zone
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

spacehopper

• Hectare
  • Its a jungle out there...
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2005, 11:34:45 »
What do you do instead TM?
Make the most of today, because you'll never have it back again.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2005, 14:23:56 »
TM        and I thought I was alone  ;D
I came, I saw, I composted

sussexcliff

• Not So New ...
  • It's not shirt sleeve weather at the moment!
    • And I work (when I'm not at the allotment) at
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2005, 20:10:23 »
Well my to-do-list is almost endless.

I'm trying to keep one raised bed empty ready for the next need, I've now planted the onion sets, the first brassicas (another 60 plants to come) and 10 Sage plants (and lemon mint, sedum, marigolds.)

Radishes sown a week ago now coming through, need to sow next sequence of Baby Turnip and Baby Beetroot. White clover sown a week ago now coming through. Today we sowed some Winter Delight into a growbag in the 'coldhouse' and also two buckets of early carrots.  When some more beds are ready I've got some small baytrees I intend to grow into a low hedge/ windbreak.

If the weather's good I hope to get the pergola assembled on Sunday. (Got agreement after providing drawings and picture (off the internet, Hurrah) and by showing my very real concern about the lack of shade and the risk of skin cancer.)

At least I finished building a compost bin.
Just muddling along, trying various crops, styles etc, will repeat what works. Will try again what doesn't!!
Photo is of me ballet dancing or is it watering the strawberries?

terrace max

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2005, 20:56:47 »
What do you do instead TM?

Weed (into binliners for composting), mulch thickly with compost/leafmould, then plant. Ever spring I go around my raised beds and lift the soil with my fork just to let a litttle air in...
I travelled to a mystical time zone
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

marshwiggle

• Not So New ...
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2005, 22:58:37 »
I plant what my new lottie neighbours give me, today it was Spring cabbage :P The word on the plot is that broad beans, onions and garlic can go in now.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal