Author Topic: What to do with herbs  (Read 1335 times)

Catherine

• Not So New ...
What to do with herbs
« on: October 07, 2005, 20:14:19 »
We've had our allotment for about 6 months now and as we enter our first winter period (note the use of the word first!!!! ;D) I was wondering about the best way to keep herbs such as thyme & sage for use over the winter. I presume they look after themselves to re-grow for the next year cos we didn't plant them! I know people freeze them but I'm quite happy to use dried herbs as they're sure to be fresher than the schwartz jars that clutter my cupboards.
Catherine.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2005, 20:40:00 by Catherine »
Catherine

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
Re: What to do with herbs
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2005, 21:02:12 »
We've had our allotment for about 6 months now and as we enter our first winter period (note the use of the word first!!!! ;D) I was wondering about the best way to keep herbs such as thyme & sage for use over the winter. I presume they look after themselves to re-grow for the next year cos we didn't plant them! I know people freeze them but I'm quite happy to use dried herbs as they're sure to be fresher than the schwartz jars that clutter my cupboards.
Catherine.

Two options with Thyme and Sage. Leave them be and you will be able to pick a bit 12 months a year or pick some and freeze in ice cube trays so you can use them when you want.

Thyme is tough as old boots and I have nver frozen it I must admit.

Jerry
Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
Re: What to do with herbs
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2005, 23:14:32 »
I have frozen parsley, coriander, mint etc in ice cube trays, then popping into a plastic bag, which is a good way for the softer leaved herbs, giving nice easy to use portions. I agree that sage may be a bit tough. Apart from drying, you could try keeping it in oil, which it will flavour.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal