Author Topic: Chicken with a limp  (Read 2015 times)

Alan_Y

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Chicken with a limp
« on: October 04, 2005, 08:51:16 »
Hi All

Can anyone help?
I bought 5 hens 2weeks ago and one of them appears to have hert her leg. When she walks she finds it hard to put her weight on it , other than that see is still climbing the ladder in and out of the coop, she is eating and drinking OK and otherwise looks healthy.
What should I do ? Should I leave it a few more days as I only noticed that shehad done it last Sunday or is it worth paying out at the vets.

Any Ideas welcome

Alan
As One Door Closes, Anther One Slams In Your Face.

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
Re: Chicken with a limp
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2005, 09:43:57 »
Hi All

Can anyone help?
I bought 5 hens 2weeks ago and one of them appears to have hert her leg. When she walks she finds it hard to put her weight on it , other than that see is still climbing the ladder in and out of the coop, she is eating and drinking OK and otherwise looks healthy.
What should I do ? Should I leave it a few more days as I only noticed that shehad done it last Sunday or is it worth paying out at the vets.

Any Ideas welcome

Alan

Is there any swelling on the pad of the foot at all? Might be bumble foot.

Also are all the claws in one piece?

Does she go up on her perch at night?

If she is eating and feeding OK and seems happy on the whole I would see how she is in 48/72 hours.

Jerry
Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2005, 14:05:58 »
When we first got our hens one had a limp, at first we thought it was bumble foot but couldn't see any swelling, eventually took her to the vet. One of her toes had been dislocated before we bought her and this has resulted in a permanent limp for her. The vet gave her an anti-inflammatory injection which really made no difference. She always limps, even now 1 year on, but seems happy and healthy enough. Sometimes she won't perch and I let her have the choice as to where she wants to spend the night, either nestbox or perch. We just accept now that she hobbles around but so long as she's getting around, eating, and she still lays an egg nearly every day, she's hatched out two lots of eggs this year so we're all happy. The vet's bill with the injections came to around £20 (I can't remember the exact figures). If you can't see any obvious signs of swelling or damage and she's still eating and drinking then I'd leave her for a few days, if you're still worried and prepared to spend the money take her to see a vet for your own peace of mind, but I suggest phoning first to make sure they see hens, I had to phone about three before one agreed to see her, apparently having hens as a pet is unusual and you may be at the receiving end of some strange looks ::)
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

jaggythistle

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2005, 16:26:26 »

Only thing I would add is make sure your perches are not too high....seen many
  a hen injured in that way......also make sure your perchs are 2 by 2 rounded
  of by a fils or suchlike......make sure perchs are solidly in place

Alan_Y

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2005, 18:50:26 »
Thank You All for your comments.
When I got home tonight she was putting her weight on her leg so I hope it is on the mend.
Regarding perches, the perch is about 6" off the floor of the coop but they all seem to prefer the next box area. When purchased they were all in a big hut on the floor so maybe they are more use to resting on the ground. I have seen one or two on the perch but what ever they feel comfortable with.

Once again many thanks for your in put

Cheers

Alan
As One Door Closes, Anther One Slams In Your Face.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal