Author Topic: For Dad....  (Read 2192 times)

undercarriage plan

For Dad....
« on: October 02, 2005, 16:17:53 »
At Ma's for tea, and Dad just collared me to look at his Beech hedge, the leaves have been nibbled by something. Very similar to the gooseberry saw fly nibbling, but presuming not those!! Thanks. Lottie ;D
PS don't let me down...boasted I could find out from you all within half an hour..... :-\ Sorry!!!

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
Re: For Dad....
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2005, 16:47:54 »
wah - only a couple of mins to go within half an hour!

I have a feeling this was on GQT the other week - memory is screaming at me that there's a beech something that Bob F or Pippa was talking about.

Hang on, going to Google...

Darn.  I was thinking of "the woolly beech aphid (Phyllaphis fagi) may sound cuddly but the innocent name hides a gardening menace that generated a record numbers of enquiries to the RHS advisory service in 2004. The aphid shot up the ranks to become Britain’s fourth most enquired about pest last year." (RHS site)..

Not quite what was described... unless he's got them too!

moonbells

Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2005, 16:48:22 »
wardy: giggle (snap!)

mb
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

undercarriage plan

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2005, 16:49:37 »
Erm.....no, sorry! Bad daughter, left my camera at home!! But thanks Wardy one minute to go, than I have to go scour the ploughed fields for golf balls!!! He's looking bit smug.......HELP!!! LOL! Lottie  ::)

undercarriage plan

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2005, 16:54:18 »
Thanks anyway....sigh...now putting wellies on....does anyone know how to change the clock on his puter?!?! Perhaps time freeze button? Just been running round the ****field hurling a kite in the air.....but, don't you worry bout me....on my on.....big field.....with wellis getting heavier and heavier....in wind.....bye....... ;) ;D ;D ;D

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2005, 17:05:35 »
1) computer: click on the clock on the task bar and change it to what you want it to be.

Failing that, download nistime.exe which sets the clock absolutely but I can't get to the website right now to give you the right link!
(I can email a copy if you pm me an addy - it's only 261k in size and works simply by double clicking it and choosing 'query server' and 'now')

I just did mine and am now -2.71s !

2) hedge - try and find a caterpillar!
Then use
http://www.whatsthiscaterpillar.co.uk/plates.htm
to see if you can identify it!

:)

moonbells

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2005, 17:41:46 »
If you choose to post a question when I am having my eveing meal, what do you expect. Try looking up the larva of the Mottle umber moth. This is known to attack beech leaves amongst other things.
Gardening is the great leveller.

undercarriage plan

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2005, 19:41:25 »
FOund 17!!! Well chuffed....was quite good fun really, but don't tell dad that!! He and Mum had kids whilst I looked, took ages..... ;D ;D ;D Then I popped back here and informed him that it was a Mottle umber moth, went home, nose in the air!! LOL. Thanks All! And Eric, you forgot to send me your schedule this week........ ::) ;) Lottie ;D

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2005, 19:56:24 »
Sorry, missed the 'd' off, it is Mottled umber moth, one of the Winter flying ones.
Dinner in this house is always between 5 and 6. pm Ok!
Gardening is the great leveller.

undercarriage plan

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2005, 19:59:17 »
Sorry Eric.....will be better prepared next time......But I could have said the lesser spotted neryuia fighwop moth and he'd have been fine with that, bless him....... ::) ::) ::)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal