Author Topic: Should I return fry to pond?  (Read 1741 times)

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
Should I return fry to pond?
« on: September 30, 2005, 15:30:08 »
The four baby goldfish I rescued from my contaminated pond last June have grown fat and healthy in a tank indoors. This means that the water is quite warm compared to the pond. I'm worried that if I don't return them to the pond now, before the water gets too cold, it will be six months before I can do so. I'm finding it difficult to keep the tank water clean now, in spite of the pump/filter, and as they grow it will become increasingly a problem so although I enjoy my babies indoors, would it be better to put them back into the pond now?

Tricia

Margaret

• Hectare
  • My precious granddaughter Lauren
Re: Should I return fry to pond?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2005, 21:28:47 »
Hi Tricia.Glad to hear they are doing well.It is tempting as fish in a tank are definitely harder work.Are you confident you will have no more flooding? Are they large enough now to survive the winter without food? They certainly sound it.I never bring my babies in but they continue to survive each winter with no extra help.As long as you have enough cover for them,ie plants and weed,and enough depth they should be fine.

See if you can put them into a container large enough to house them in an unheated shed or garage for 24 hours.Then move them outside.So long as the water feels about the same temperature(unless you have a thermometer) they should suffer no ill effects.Just add a bit of pond water to their container,a bit more each few mins and they will then have time to adjust to the water conditions.
Margaret

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
Re: Should I return fry to pond?
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2005, 22:22:37 »
Thanks Margaret. I'll do that over the week-end so that they will still have time to get acclimatised before the colder weather sets in.

Did I tell you that I was sitting watching the fish feed in the pond the other day and to my great delight and surprise saw other fry? :D One beautiful red and white one and 4 slate grey ones. They have no fear of the big fish and nibble at the food from underneath. I'm hoping they will survive the winter too. So glad my gold coloured ones will have some siblings or cousins ;D to take care of them :P and make them feel at home - I hope!

Tricia

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal