Author Topic: When does your garden look best?  (Read 6703 times)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
When does your garden look best?
« on: September 30, 2005, 13:15:26 »
Question's in the title - when does it look at its best and what plants contribute to this?

This year mine has looked it's best in Spring - from early spring with the daffs, wallflowers and primroses to late spring with all the (you've guessed it) aquilegias and geraniums.

Now it's looking a bit sad. The only things still flowering are the verbena bonariensis and rudbekia. All else has given up!
gone to pot :D

montanum

• Half Acre
Re: When does your garden look best?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2005, 14:55:13 »
To elongate your flowering period and to add to your Rudbekia why not grow some of the Crocosmia and Asters?
From The Mountains

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2005, 15:01:42 »
Mont - yes have Crocosmia, but it finished a while back. Asters - hadn't thought of those...
gone to pot :D

undercarriage plan

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2005, 15:04:35 »
If I had to choose, I think it'd be May/June time, with the Wisteria and roses (sorry, Eric...), but I've tried to have something for all the seasons. At the minute, the Sedums are looking good, the grasses, asters, Verbena bonariensis and the Virginia Creeper is bright red. My worst month is late August, early September I think, mmm, will need to go for wander round now!!!  ::) ;D Lottie

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2005, 15:27:34 »
Mine changes mood with the seasons and there's usually something going on.  Flowering at the moment are assorted shrub and climbing roses, clematis Etoile Violette, Dr Ruppel and Beauty of Worcester, Japanese honeysuckle, rudbeckias, helianthus Lemon Queen, sedums, phlox, Japanese anemones, monkshood, some hardy geraniums, hostas, persicarias, penstemons, vebena bonariensis, physostegias, pinks, heathers, and a few mad forget-me-nots and an oriental poppy.

As for the rest, the foliage of the other geraniumms, the heucheras, hemerocallis, phlomis is looking good.  The cornus alba sibirica is glowing red along with the amelanchier, parrotia persica and the euonymous.  The flower/seed heads on the ornamental grasses are superb this year.  Everything else is still green and I've just cut the lawn to set it all off.

It'll look completely different in a week or two when the leaves start to fall but then I'll have bare stems, conifers and other evergreens to keep me going till the bulbs start to pop up and loads of work lifting, dividing and planting before I hang up my tools for the winter.
Obxx - Vendée France

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2005, 15:29:39 »
Ours looks best just before or just after we have had visitors to look at the garden.
Gardening is the great leveller.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2005, 18:12:22 »
My looks best when it's dark.   ;)

G xx
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

undercarriage plan

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2005, 18:15:54 »
 ;D

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2005, 19:02:47 »
I love my garden in the spring.  The joy of seeing a bit of colour after a wild, wet and windy winter in North Wales is a joy beyond compare ;D  Then next best is mid summer ...... June/July.  Lovely colour and the baskets and tubs are glorious.  I felt that the garden also needs some end of summer early autumn colour to cheer me up and keep away the winter blues, so did a bit of research and come up with the following additions:-

Crocosmia lucifer for a bit of hight
   Japanese Anemones  have about 5 different varieties and heights
   Asters.....cant remember the variety but the blue is fantastic but a bit prone     to mould..
   The cosmos and nicotianas are still flowering and still gorgeous despite all the wind and rain over the past week.
  Just need to sort out something other than heathers (ugh ugh) for a bit of winter colour.  Any ideas out there  ???
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2005, 22:31:23 »
I adore my garden for almost 11 months of the year.  There is a brief spell, probably around May time, when all the spring bulbs have long gone and the Aquis and other early flowering plants have finished and there is a lull, but then BOOM, along comes everything else and I spend the rest of the year hacking back my jungle!

I love it at the moment as things are starting to fade, I am left with lots of wonderful grasses all in flower, and I leave those on for winter interest.  My hardy fuschias look great, along with the hydrangea, which I also love in the depths of winter as the heads become all skeletal on the bare bush!  I have a sprinkling of white cyclamen under the shrubs perennial sunflowers towering above the shrubs.

beejay

• Acre
  • SW London
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2005, 20:16:55 »
My garden looks best when I've been away for a little while & I get back home!

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2005, 20:39:24 »
Awww, that's lovely.   :D

G xx
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

joji

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2005, 20:48:23 »
our lottie has got to look better now than it did lol ;D

KevB

• Hectare
  • Now where did I Plant those Seeds
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2005, 22:52:16 »
My looks best when it's dark.   ;) mine is as good as anybodies when its snowed 6" deep  :) :) :)

G xx
If I wasn't Gardening I'd be shopping!! thank God for Gardening!!

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2005, 23:49:59 »
I suppose its when all the early flowering perennials are at full tilt in June, that the garden looks the most full of colour, but when is it at ists best? Hmm.. I wonder sometimes if the early summer peak is too much colour.

I would like to say late summer as this is an aspect of the garden i am trying to develop, and i like the late summer flowers, but this time is usualy dry and the scruffy stony soil tends to let the late flowering plants down a bit, spoiling the effect.

I suppose the best time is in late spring when everythings fresh looking with new growth and promise of things to come. The foliage colours at that time are something special.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2005, 12:57:33 »
Spting; I've got loads of bulbs out, and it's not so good later, apart from the Cyclamens. The weeds are usually under control then as well, though it was an awful mess this year as I hadn't been able to weed the flower beds for a couple of years due to thefts every time I did! I've still got a long way to go with that; what with illness it just hasn't been my year.

dibberxxx

• Hectare
  • The Mad One!
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2005, 13:06:11 »
my garden l think looks best in spring with all the bulbs ,love spring it like every thing comes alive and from spring to may when all the new shoots start to appear is my most exciting time , i do love my garden all year round ,but spring has a magical sense  :) :) :)

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
  • Doh..I got a slug farm,a flea beetle heaven..doh!
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2005, 21:13:26 »
Mont - yes have Crocosmia, but it finished a while back. Asters - hadn't thought of those...

My asters are always very sad and look like they struggle.  Ground rich,  partially shaded but by next year might have totally gone  :-[  Do they need special treatment?
Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

Iain D

• Not So New ...
  • I do like to be beside the seaside - mostly!
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2005, 10:00:03 »
Hi

Like most mine is probably best in spring/early summer but for the first time it's actually looking not too bad now!  I have a patch for hot colours and still have crocosmias, red hot pokers, dahlias and pots of yellow osteospermums together with two great late summer blue flowering shrubs - ceratostigma and caryopteris.  Despite the latest wild winds it's still looking good and I'm really pleased!  In  the more 'pastelly' bit cosmos (real stars that just keep on going), nerines and sedums are giving the main show.  Cutting the grass really helps too as I discovered yesterday after a two week hiatus!!

Cheers, Iain

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2005, 12:32:43 »
It may be the 3rd of October, But i have to say most of the garden is still looking good (not as good as late spring though), plenty of flower colour still. Makes it kind of hard to start changing and replanting things ready for next year!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal