Author Topic: composting toilets for lotties  (Read 7593 times)

wardy

• Hectare
Re: composting toilets for lotties
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2005, 18:11:52 »
I thought the idea of the composting bog was to have the waste not going into a container, other than just a hay bale for the urine, and solid waste hitting the earth.  The sides were hay bales surrounded by chicken wire to keep out rats and then the whole thing was planted with willow (special kind) to suck up any excess liquid.  The willows got hacked down once a year.

What sort of containers have you got?  Is the wee separated from the solids?  Sorry, I'm not being nosy I just like to know these things  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2005, 18:48:27 »
and i thought that you douse a container,every time you go(wee or poo!)you sprinkle the 'deposit' with shavings and that helps it stay sweet and breaks it down quicker.

wardy-you and i will get a reputation about this!i find it gripping and my o/h cantunderstand my interest!
i didnt get round to making a bog this year-but i will next year.
luv
the bog fairy
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2005, 09:57:05 »
Tee hee Kits  :)  My old man is into composting bogs as well but that;s not extended as far as doing anything about it - the same with the comfrey pipe!  Tis footy season though so that takes priority  :)

You're right about putting sawdust or some such thing on your deposit or after it.  You can make a wee hole with a funnel arrangement so that goes straight onto a barley straw bale.  I've been invited to have a look at a willow bog in Baaarnsley.  I know how to have a good time  ;D That one is quite famous and loads of folks go to see it (and use it no doubt).  The lady who runs it ( :)) says because they have loads of folks on the communal plot using it (as many as 25 a day) it does get smelly at times but for such as us only using it occasionally it would be absolutely fine. You can't use the finished result on your crops though!

70fingers

• Half Acre
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2005, 15:01:05 »
We have a local scrap store where local businesses give the store loads of bits and bobs. We got food grade containers with lids about the size of a fermenting bin. The poo goes into there, and the wee is allowed to escape through tiny little drill holes into another container. The wee container is at an angle slightly and the wee is directed into a hose pipe which is connected to an old bucket buried in the ground outside. We even made a flower shape for the toilet seat and it works really well, the petals and if you stay sitting for too long you get a lovely flower pattern on ya bum - as my other half told me!

Come on peeps lets start a compost loo revolution!!

terrace max

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2005, 19:45:11 »
Come on peeps lets start a compost loo revolution!!

How uncivilised! We humans are clever enough to defecate into a few gallons of drinking water and flush it all away into the sea where, of course, it magically disappears...

(Seriously though, sign me up for your revolution!)
I travelled to a mystical time zone
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2005, 19:50:39 »
i think everyone should be made to swim (or paddle)in the sea at least once a year to enjoy the ..ahem!-interesting sea life floating past.......
more compodst toilets!
more recycling!
more composting!
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2005, 21:21:32 »
Exactly!  I have written an on line message to our council leader asking why we have not yet introduced green bins for garden waste as part of our kerb side recycling.  They say it will take a year from pilot study to get it introduced, that is if the pilot study suggests it's a good thing.  I think we should have a recycling facility for council officials with feet of clay.  A shredder would do nicely  >:(

All the dosh for the kerb side composting scheme has been spent on rebranding the council.  They sure know where their priorities lay  >:(   

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2005, 16:21:33 »
i think re-branding of councils is a good idea....
a nice HOT branding iron tho-plenty of sizzle and crackle- ;D

i want it to be mandatory for people to br FINED if they dont compost household compostables....and if they dont sort recycelables...
our council does their near best-ahhhhh!bless'em!-but see m unable to take cardboard and paper for recycling-i would have thought that was the easiest...
i spendmany a pleasant our folding me cardboard into triangle logs for the open fire-saves chopping decent stuff for kindling and keeps me busy when i watch midsomer murders.
well..theres not too difficult a plot and the devil makes work for idle paws you know! ;)
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2005, 22:17:08 »
I'm with you Kits.  Midsomer Murders means I get time to whittle me sticks into sharp pointy objects for doing unspeakable things to folks who don't do their recycling (Witch-like cackle)

I agree about the not-too difficult plots making it easy for the likes of us to suss who done it without too much effort so's to free our minds and hands up for more pressing work  :o

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2005, 19:47:47 »
 ;D
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

Rose.mary

• Acre
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2005, 21:28:05 »
We have nearly finished building a composting toilet on our allotment.
We applied for and received a grant to do this. It is in working order now but I don't know if anybody has used it yet. I know that we have to plant comfrey and willow to help with the leaching, and it is not supposed to smell. We have two compartments, one in use and the other presumably will be allowed to compost down. I will let you know later if this is a success.
Rosemary

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2005, 22:11:00 »
Cool  :)   Let us know how you get on with it  ;D   Aren't you have a grand opening?  :)

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2005, 09:07:43 »
Aren't you have a grand opening? 
yeah...its called 'the door!'

a grant?????
where'd you get that then?(please!)
and which part of the country are you in?
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2005, 11:47:08 »
I mean a scissors and brass band job  ;D  You can get grants for these lavs if they're part of a communal exercise but not for private individuals.

Only trouble is with these grants is that the council kind of want to get involved and that's where it can all start going horribly wrong.  Planners!!!!  When I do my composting bog I aint telling  :-X

Nathan

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2005, 13:42:48 »
Thanks again all.

Rosemary, could you post or send me any more details, like plans or supplier?  Would apprecite it.
Nathan

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2005, 15:33:37 »
ah.we are of the same opinion wardy-once 'they' get hold of you!!.....
we have never had any funding  or grants for our business-just expanded as and when money became available....i get no end of students coming in wanting to know how they can start-what funding they should apply for-where they can get a grant etc!
they cant beleive we started with 4/6d
there was a scheme for free broadband for businesses in our area-they wanted to know yer inside leg measurement and colour of drawers,so ....... >:(

aha!sooooooo-a SECRET bogatarium!
wardys MI5 restroom!

very sensible too! ;D
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2005, 17:40:08 »
We got a grant for gardening tools for when the kiddiwinks come planting with us and turned up with nowt but Persil scoops  ;D  We only got £1400 about two years ago but we get innundated with forms to fill in every quarter, about 14 pages worth everyt time and it's sending me barmy.  So unless you want £3 million it's not worth the hassle  :)

So my willow bog will really be a privvy and cunningly disguised as a shed so no-one will suspect.  Hope it doesn't honk though or that'll give the game away  :)

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2005, 18:32:14 »
p-e-r-e-e-e-ecisely!

i sometimes think government deprtments actually enjoy peper shuffling!
it'd drive me bonkers!
well..if you dont want your privvy privvy to honkeroo steer clear of the brassicas luv! ;)

OUR privvy will smell of violets and roses of course! ;D
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

Rose.mary

• Acre
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2005, 22:53:13 »
Sorry folks, I have just seen this post.I will get on to our secretary and ask her where she got the grant. I know there are all sort of grants to be had for allotments, we even had one for garden equipment ie. Petrol strimmer, and lawn mower. I think the grant was in the region of £600.
Will try to get all info and come back to you

Rosemary

Rose.mary

• Acre
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2005, 23:11:12 »
Sorry Kitty, Halifax, but I don't think it matters where you are.

Wardy - our secretary is very persistant, and I know the Council wallys are a nuisance, but £600 has provided us with a shed 8'x6', and all the materials. We also have a great chap who does most of the work, and he is just putting the sink in and painting the toilet so it is easier to clean, we have lino down as well. We don't want water provided by the water board as they would charge the earth in water rates, so we are relying on rain water for the sink.

We don't have anything to hide so we don't mind the council looking around. We are self governed or whatever you call it, so they are quite good with us and don't interfer at all.

Rosemary

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal